Tuesday, July 03, 2007

My Super Sweet

There are some tv shows I won't watch, because the premise is thin, or obtuse, or yukky, or boring.

Last night, for some strange wild-hair reason, right before bed, I happened upon MTV's "My Super Sweet 16". Some kid from Cleveland was bragging about the party he was gonna have, and why didn't his mom buy him a $90K BMW for his big day? I could feel my jaw go slack at the obscenity of money that was then thrown around. Renting out a mall? Getting Mike Jones for your party? Hiring dancers? Designer duds you'll never wear again?

What.
The.
Fack.

Couldn't these rich kids on MTV help out, oh, I dunno, kids with less money? Spend the money on a cure for diabetes? Help the people of Darfur?

Sickening.

My kids might get a party for their 16th birthday. A small party. A few friends, some good food, a few nice gifts. NOT a new BMW, not even a used one. They'll remember the day just fine, thank you. I might let them watch this show, if it's still on in a few years, and laugh and point and mock the spoiled rich kids and their bratty ways, and make sure my kids understand that the behaviour they see on tv is not the behaviour we tolerate in our family.

Pttoey. Still can't get that rotten taste out of my mouth.

5 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, Blogger Orange said...

These are the same kids who will complain bitterly in college when they're not praised for doing the minimum. "But Professor, I made it to class more than half the time!"

And if they had even more money, they could be Paris Hilton.

I imagine it's possible to be filthy rich and still manage to raise one's kids to have character, no?

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Marcheline said...

How weird is that, Mona - you and I both referenced Darfur in our blogs, the only difference being that you used it respectfully and I was being a complete twat about someone's arm fat. Ha! Imagine that.

- M

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger meno said...

I saw a part of that show once. It's total birth control.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger gary rith said...

Kids these days. Exile them all to the south pole nad forget about them.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Yuck! Pure gluttony. And what's left for the really big things in life when you've already had it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home