Monday, July 11, 2005

Lookin' At Me With THOSE Eyes....

Saturday night I stayed up waaaay too late to watch that IFC Punk Night thing (Sergei, fortunately, was in another room, 'cause I squealed like a kindergartener holding a spider throughout the evening). I even took notes which, uh, I left at home and thus can't give a play-by-play of my quivering delights, and would you really want to hear 4 pages of notes anyway? Suffice it to say, there was David Johansen and Jello Biafra and Mick Jones and Chrissie Hynde and Henry Rollins and Thurston Moore and...oh...just everybody. There was much jumping about and thrashing and I remembered songs forgotten and who-was-in-which-band stuff. Happy happy girl, me.

So on Sunday, I pulled out some cds to listen to, get my old pre-marriage, pre-kids metal-punk groove on. The kids were all doing their thing, so I sat at the dining room table, with occasional trips to the basement for laundry, ROCKING THE FUCK OUT! There was Sex Pistols. There was Ministry (man, that was LOUD!). There was Lard (I let girl-child listen to 3 seconds of "Drug Raid at 4 a.m.", and her eyes got all big and she grinned all goofy, 'cause she loves the thrash, and then left the room to play with Barbies).

In pulling stuff, I reached for Primus, not exactly punk, but I lovelovelove Les Claypool and all that slap-base stuff. (Slap-bass? Nothing looks right here. I mean that style of guitar-playing...base?bass? Ohgodhelpme, I can't spell anymore.) I decided to let boy-child in on my fun, and interrupted his game-boy fix for a full-on stereo play of "Tommy the Cat" from "Sailing the Seas of Cheese" (which features Tom Waits on vocals). I cranked that puppy up and was singing along and sort of dancing (albeit like Napoleon Dynamite, so sue me), and looking at boy-child expectantly to see if he could get into it. I'm grinning like I'd been lobotomized. After about 45 seconds, boy-child got this...this look...in his eyes...like he finally realized his mother was a crazy person. C-R-A-Z-Y. I'd had the same look the previous day, when that old woman in the grocery store asked to hug my children because she was a 'grandma with no grandchildren'...uh, okay, then back the hell AWAY, lady. I could tell by boy-child's expression that he was planning and plotting exactly how old he had to be before he could get me committed to an institution for crazy moms. I said, "You don't like this?" He said, "Uh...NO. Can I play game-boy now?" Me: "Sure."

It's definite. My children are not impressed with my musical taste. At least, not the music I used to listen to. I guess 'cause that's not who I am anymore? At least not that I show to them? No more the all-black-wearing, hair-thrashing, party girl Mona. Nope. Not anymore.

The kids were more impressed when I started singing loudly, "Why are there so many...songs about rainbows...and what's on the other siiiiiiide", after they'd seen The Muppet Movie at camp. Yeah. I guess I just need their musical taste to catch up to mine. I can't wait for the teen-rebellion years, 'cause I got a trunk full of angry youth cds to throw at 'em.

(Reaching for Primus cd, cranking up speakers..."She whispered in my ear! She whispered in my ear, she said...you wanna get LUCKY little boy?...")

15 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger your fiend, mr. jones said...

Yeah, I can't wait 'till Future Jones gets to listen to the old man's Tom Waits CD's.

And then I get to pay for the therapy bills!

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Pandora Wilde said...

Try feeding them a little Rob Zombie, then try the old school stuff--that might work!

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Agent 31 said...

Bass.

And if you like that, you ought to look into some Mike Watts. Slap-bass + punk.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Mr. Jones: Oh, SURELY you have more disturbing music than Tom Waits! C'mon...dish!

Serra: The e-ville plan is to lull them with KC and the Sunshine Band doing "I'm Your Boogie Man", and then, just when they're all happy and giddy and falling down laughing...BAM! Here's the Rob Zombie version! That'll mess with their little heads....

Maine: Thanks. Slap-bass just reminded me of that Monty Python fish-slapping sketch. I looked up Mike Watt, oh yeah, he did 'Ball-Hog or Tugboat', and the first tune I called up was the one with Rollins. Eerie, that, Rollins is everywhere....

Midwest: You could always use that as a form of torture. "And now,kids, here's "Radar Love" by Golden Earring!" "ARGH!!!...NO, DAD! Okay, okay, I'll mow the lawn (sniffle, sob)."

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Bored Housewife said...

I think it's in the air, Mona...good thrashy music is beyond perfect for a sunny Monday!!!

and yeah...my kids are way less impressed by my stuff than I would like, too. with OUR luck, they'll be into jazz or opera as teenagers...ugh...the disappointment! cuz, really, how can they rebel against something if it's what their parents LOOOOOVE? you'll have to start reverse psychology now...hm....

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Pisser said...

Aw. Poor grandma w/ no grandbabies...that's my mom in 5 yrs.

SAY, BABY DON'TCHA WANNA LAY DOWN WIT ME? SAY, BABY, DON'TCHA WANNA LAY DOWN BY MY SIDE/BABY DON'TCHA WANNA LAY DOWN WIT ME? SAY, BABY?
SAY, BABY-!!!!

I want to neuter him immediately.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Lisa: My only hope for future music appreciation by the kids is that girl-child screams in this gutteral rock-chick way, when Van Halen comes on the radio, "TURN IT UUUUUUUUPPPP!!"

Pisser: "She knew what she wanted...she was lookin' for that stud bull...she was looking for that He-Cat...that was ME...Tommy the Cat is my name!" Yeah, a little vet-snippin' might be order there, oversexed puss....

 
At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait until the kids rebel with their top 40 favorites. You will have a heart attack.

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Orange said...

I hear bad, bad things about Radio Disney. Pray to the goddesses that your kids don't discover it.

My kid is content to make up his own songs. To the tune of "Happy Birthday," he riffed a few things like "How much do you love." (So sweet!!) He also likes to hum "Jingle Bells." And he never wants to dance to music I encourage him to enjoy. Maybe I should put on a Christmas CD and see if he rocks out to that.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger annush said...

hahaha...
i love to read this stuff! i do. I don't think parents realize that they are not supossed to have lives or interests before the kids!!

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Rose said...

I love Hank.

I also saw the West Memphis Three tour which was a fabulous punk-o-fest in the very first show on the tour in Tempe, AZ a couple of years ago with my husband.

I've seen him do spoken word twice, too.

I do. I lurves me some Hank.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger your fiend, mr. jones said...

"Disturbing"? Tom Waits is about how dark I get (except for the soundtrack to "Natural Born Killers"... much better than the movie).

"Gay" on the other hand... that I got in spades. ;>

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Pisser said...

Now, Jonesy...hee!

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Oreopithecus bambolii said...

my mother used to tell me that for teenage rebellion I would have to become a right-wing fundamentalist Christian preacher. . . .

of course, when i was a senior in high school, she also used to tell me she was looking forward to empty-nest syndrome. . . .

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Cynical Girl: ARGH! And ARGH again! What kills me is when the local college radio station plays an 'oldie'...from 1995. Puh-leeze!

Orange: I'll have to post someday on "Disney is the Devil". And my kids sing Christmas songs all year round. Your Ben is adorable!

Annush: Before OR After, as I'm finding out!

Rose: He's sex-ay, I must say. Angry, but a little sweet in a heartbroken litle boy kinda way. I'm jealous about the West Memphis Three tour, that so rocks!

Jonesy: We like to dance around gay-disco style to Erasure a lot. And once, a long time ago, I had Bronsky Beat. Gay? Hoo yeah!

libcat: Yer mom rocks! What a hoot!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home