Friday, March 14, 2008

Poetry Friday: The Word is FEVER

Girl-child is still battling creeping crud. All night and this morning I checked on her every hour. I'm a wreck. But I'd still take the sickness into my own body if I could.

It's what moms do.

Today's Poetry Friday Word is FEVER. Feel free to use this word in your blog post today, in whatever form quenches your thirst...poem, story, photo, phone call to the insurance company to see if they cover massages that include "Happy Endings"....

Please leave a comment if you participate so we can all go see your works!

Have a good weekend, y'all!


One Hundred and Three

The flames licked at my head
Bubbling orange sheets of pulsing heat
Crazy
Consuming
My cold hands trembling
Under grandma’s patchwork
Soup and
Ginger ale
Glass thermometer under swollen tongue
Want to get
Out
A cold cloth against my forehead
A corner pulled into my mouth
Mama held my hand
Mama held her breath
As I shook and twisted
And asked
“Why did the sun go under my bed?”
“How can I float to the clouds in the sky?”
“Am I real?”
“Will I die?”
“Why won’t you help me?”
“Can’t you see I’m on fire?”

Mama held my hand
Mama held her breath
Pursed her lips
Blew gently on my neck
Counting
Waiting
To see
If the fever would pass



Uncle Ted, who must be rawked out to:


3 Comments:

At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*tap tap* It's also a dad thing when mom lives three thousand miles away. *small smile* There's no feeling quite like not being able to make your little one better. Having gotten through the other side of this current batch of Captain Tripps, here's hoping that the wee one is well and playing again Most Soonest.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Lynnea said...

I love the poem. The rhythm of it is lovely and the questions - so what a fevered child would think. But the best - the mama and her thoughts so eloquently noted in simple actions. Aaah.

I put one up too.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Wizardry said...

I must say, I love your poem. I also love this idea of picking a theme every friday is it? In which everone writes a story or poem about it. I'm quite endeared to such an idea. So, I'll join in the fun, starting today. I know its Saturday, but still, I'm a bit late. My poem, entitled 'Fever' is updated right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home