Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sh*t-Stick

Oh good lord, Maynard, where the hell have I been? I hope I didn’t alarm you too much by my last frantic post, but it was a hellova time.

Sergei was sick with pneumonia and pleurisy the entire month of January, and spent the majority of those days in hospital. Which was scary. Really scary. There were days when I didn’t think he’d ever come home. Days when I questioned the authority of the doctors and their ability to make timely decisions. Times when I had to bite the inside of my cheeks to keep the tears away from the kids, who were equally scared to see their darling dad hooked up to machines and IVs, weak and pale and unable to get a good breath. Thank the gods that we had a kick-ass family doctor who brought in a team (TEAM) of infectious disease doctors, and involved half the pulmonary staff, and who was at the hospital every day checking on Sergei and ordering tests that the other doctors didn’t think “necessary”. He made all the difference. I think I need to send him a nice fruit basket. Gradually things got better for Sergei, after they made him a Human Pincushion with IVs and treatments, tests that never did show the specific bacteria that caused the disease, and a myriad of antibiotics and tubes in his lungs and procedures that made all my hospital stays for childbirth and girly surgery seem like High Tea with the Queen. Sergei is still getting over it, but is clearly nearly back to his randy old self.

Since then, several other friends and acquaintances of mine have come down with pneumonia…brutal and debilitating. Next year, I swear, my entire family is getting the pneumonia shot. I don’t ever. EVER. Want to do to that again.

What else?

Girl-child’s birthday was the end of January, and last weekend we had her Birthday Party sleepover with some of her friends. The cloud of potential-estrogen hung heavy in the air. Sergei and Boy-child sequestered themselves upstairs with Playstation2 and food. I realized that my girl and her friends are definitely Alpha Girls. Yeah, her teenage years will be fun.

What else?

I fell in love with “Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy” all over again.

I loathed, then admired, then added to my Fantasy Boyfriend List, Finn cum German Stefan from Top Chef Season 5. How arrogant. How cocky. How talented. That man can peel my eel any time. He nearly got voted off last night, but lived to make it to the Final Four. Verdammte ScheiBe, Stefan!

I realized how wonderful having medical insurance is.

And how lucky I am to have family and friends checking on us, even though I related the same “How’s Sergei” status several dozen times a day.

I realized that I missed this bloggy place, even though my posts have been dwindling in general these last few months, I’ve missed having a place for me.

And that I love Bacon, and would marry it, especially if it gave me a donut as an engagement ring.

Stefan's Got the Mad Eel Skillz:


9 Comments:

At 8:21 AM, Blogger Gary's third pottery blog said...

Oh man, poor Segei, poor all of you! January kinda sucked rotten eggs, didn't it?
Missed you MONA, but I am NOT missing eels.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Lynnea said...

Mona, so glad you are all right now and Sergei of course. And that you told us what was up. I was worried. Take big care of yourselves.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger jaded said...

Sounds as though Sergi has earned a starring role on House. Glad things are improving for both of you.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Megan Stuke said...

I heart Stephan too. He's by far my fave.

Glad everyone has turned the corner.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Clowncar said...

Glad to see you up and kicking! Glad S. is okay too.

I don't know who the frick Stefan is, but he does have a way with an eel.

 
At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good sweet lords, glad to hear S. is recovering nicely. Sounds horrific in seven sorts of Technicolour.

Glad you're back with us, too. I have to say I missed that certain turn of dirty phrase that is your signature style. *G*

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger jo(e) said...

Oh, wow. I'm glad to hear that Sergei is recovering. That must have been scary.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Jenny Melzer said...

I had to pop by and reiterate your words of wisdom, "That man can peel my eel anytime."

Judging from the serious amount of illness circulating this winter, you sound like you could use a smile, maybe even a chuckle. Have you seen Stefan posting on top foodie blogs all over the net? And yesterday over at There's a Queer in My Soup they posted a photo of Fabio in Drag. If you still need that smile, check it out. It's good for a chuckle.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh honey. *hug* Pleurisy is some scary shit.

Glad to see you back. It's hard to keep up here when Life takes over.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home