We interrupt the orgasm talk
Helloooooo?!?! Yeah, posts are rare on the weekends here in the Mona/Sergei household. But I wanted to share a few things:
1) From Orange Tangerine comes this link from McSweeneys, George Bush jokes. I had tears coming out my eyes, people, and woke the children with my guffawing. Damn good stuff!
2) Also through Orange, from The Un-Apologetic Atheist, comes "The Christian Paradox". Not so much funny as head-shakingly sad and true. Made me remember something from yesterday. A co-worker, 30, is getting married for the first time, and he and his fiancee are Christian, like, demonstrative Christian, but he's really cool about it. He said his fiancee's family is all very religious, BUT have this earth-shattering history of divorce and illegitimate children and abuse and whatnot. So, how Christian is THAT?
3) We subscribe to something like 25 magazines. (I have connections at work, and get 'em cheap.) I finally caught up on, like, 3 weeks worth of reading the damn things, and every other one had an article on this movie coming out called, "The Aristocrats". There's apparently a very funny joke that vaudeville comedians used to tell to each other, after the crowd left, that was the dirtiest, sickest, grossest thing ever. The movie itself has one hundred comedians telling that joke, each in a different way, with sick stupid sexist racist humour. And I CAN'T WAIT to see this thing! You should all go!
4) And I must see Steve Carell in "The 40 Year-Old Virgin". I thought he was funny and smarmy on The Daily Show, and yeah, he made me laugh in that Will Farrell thing, "Anchorman", and even though I had to hate him for being in an American version of one of my favorite British tv shows, he was actually pretty good in it. Now he looks so innocent and fuckable in the posters for "Virgin". Ooh, gimme somma that!
5) And also a crush on now-skinny Tom Arnold, featured in the July 29th issue of Entertainment Weekly. I don't know why. Don't hold it against me.
6) Bob Mould has a new cd coming out, which I must check out. (Now 'Disappointed' is running through my head.) And, oh, I am recommending "Haunted Cities" by The Transplants. Yes, the one with Explicit Lyrics, I mean, yeah, why the fuck not? It's an amazing mix of musical flavours, hard to pin down, and each song has a different feel (which I enjoy, I don't want to buy a cd if the same song is basically repeated ten times). It's not everyone's taste, but funky leather metal ska Mona lurves it.
7) "This Machine Kills Fascists", a documentary about Woody Guthrie, is coming out on August 2nd. Narrated by Billy Bragg! OOH! If you haven't ever heard "Mermaid Avenue" by Wilco/Billy Bragg, based on Guthrie works, you absolutely, positively, must get offa yer chair right now and find a copy. It's so close to perfect, I can't stand it!
8) A perfect moment: Yesterday, Friday, left work at 2:30 p.m., said fuck the projects, I had my 40 hours in. Not picking up the kids for a while. Driving to the grocery store, and visions of a fresh bottle of Yellowtail Shiraz floated in my head...YES! And the college radio station played 'Weather With You' by Crowded House and I sang along, loudly, with the car windows open, all goose-bumpy...YES! And then they played The Clash, 'London Calling', and YES!!! Wine and song, apparently, is all it takes to make Mona happy. Wine, song, no work, windows down, sunny day, cleavage poppin', short skirt, bare skin, weekend...YES!
Okay, it's 12:45 a.m. on Saturday night/Sunday morning and me babylon and on and on. G'night. Oh yeah, and think of something sexy and think of me, m'kay?