Monday, August 01, 2005

Chop Chop

I’m taking a break from orgasms for a while. No, not having them, silly, writing about them. Several reasons:
1) It cuts into other stuff I really want to write about
2) I need to do more research. (When Sergei was on his genealogy trip, I had full intentions of writing-writing-researching-writing. All thwarted by being outnumbered by children and dead-tired once I finally got their squirrelly butts in bed.)
3) I think they scare people. Which is part of the point, but I miss comments.


This week is gonna be choppy posting at best. Tomorrow I’m spending the day with the kids. Boychild’s daycamp thought it would be fun to take 30 8-year olds to the county fair. Two teachers. Thirty kids. 1:15 ratio. Kids running in all directions riding scarily unsafe rides, being accosted by carny folk, eating elephant ears and fries and throwing up. Sergei and I decided…er…ah…HELL NO. Girlchild felt left out, so I told her we'd pick her up early from pre-school. A day off but not a day ‘off’.

I have a new crush, soon-to-be-boyfriend. We saw him on the Science channel, a Brit who designed a new type of bridge which rolls up on itself like a roly-poly bug. I googled him this morning, he’s also an artist and sculptor. Big-brained, shocking hair, baggy clothes, really passionate and intense. Oh, his name is Thomas Heatherwick. And here. Damn but I love those artistic Brits, I wanna eat him on a scone with a bit of clotted cream.

Via BitchPhd, the Faux Faulkner Contest winner. Made all the more poignant in that I recently started re-reading “The Sound and the Fury”. Incredibly Faulkner-esque, and incredibly bad! Lovelovelove it!

A co-worker told me her daughter, who is plagued by migraines, was taking a medication that also helped her drop about 30 pounds with no effort. Too good to be true! The medication is called Topamax. It’s an epilepsy medication, also for bi-polar disorder, side affects seem helpful for migraines and weight loss. However, the bad side effects are terrifying…if you miss a dose, they imply you could have seizures, even if you’ve never had them before. You also can’t concentrate, shouldn’t operate heavy machinery, etc. Has anyone heard more about this stuff? I’m curious, but frightened.

Sergei and I will celebrate our Tenth Wedding Anniversary this Friday. The kids are going to Grandpa and Grandma’s house Thursday through Sunday. Sergei initially wanted to take me on a trip somewhere, but scary post-9/11 me, post London-bombings me, post-paying the mortgage (yikes!) me, didn’t want to go far/spend much money. Really, all I want is Sergei naked for a few days. That’s not asking too much, is it? So far, our plans are: Drop the kids off Thursday lunchtime, get tattoos Thursday night, maybe get drunk, definitely have wet hot monkey sex. We went to the tattoo place last Saturday and got everything set up. It’s my first, although I’ve had designs in the works for years. I’ll post a picture of it, perhaps. Of the tattoo, not the wet hot monkey sex.

I'm working on a music MEME of Avatar's. Will post later, after birthday lunch with the boss.

12 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger Orange said...

Tattoos?!? Congrats on your 10th anniversary!

Hey, your O posts didn't scare me away. You may resume them any time.

As for Topamax, my cousin takes it. It has helped prevent a lot of migraines from even starting, which is awesome, and the appetite-reducing effect is also impressive. If you look on the web, you'll see that a lot of people call it Dopamax because it makes them stupid. It hasn't impaired my cousin's thinking at all, so it's certainly not a universal side effect. If you try it and it makes you stupid, you'll have to taper the dose down gradually rather than stopping abruptly (the seizure risk thing). Oh, Topamax is officially FDA-approved for migraine prevention now. I reckon it won't do a damn thing for tension headaches, so you'd have to be sure that your headaches are true migraines.

I got a crush listening to NPR, with antiwar epidemiologist (what's hotter than epidemiology?!) Les Roberts talking about measuring mortality rates in the Congo and Iraq. His Iraq work has been largely underplayed and ignored. And he's funny and smart. Then I did a Google image search, and found out he's got wild curly hair...except on the whole smooth top of his head. Not totally unlike Doc in "Back to the Future," but younger and more bald on top.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger your fiend, mr. jones said...

I am always impressed with a Faulkner fan. As much as I pride myself on my reading habits, I could never get through any of his work, besides his screenplay adaptations of "The Big Sleep" and "To Have And Have Not".

And I'm from Mississippi, too. Oh well, good for you, lady.

And good FOR you.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger your fiend, mr. jones said...

I am always impressed with a Faulkner fan. As much as I pride myself on my reading habits, I could never get through any of his work, besides his screenplay adaptations of "The Big Sleep" and "To Have And Have Not".

And I'm from Mississippi, too. Oh well, good for you, lady.

And good FOR you.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger your fiend, mr. jones said...

I am always impressed with a Faulkner fan. As much as I pride myself on my reading habits, I could never get through any of his work, besides his screenplay adaptations of "The Big Sleep" and "To Have And Have Not".

And I'm from Mississippi, too. Oh well, good for you, lady.

And good FOR you.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger your fiend, mr. jones said...

I am always impressed with a Faulkner fan. As much as I pride myself on my reading habits, I could never get through any of his work, besides his screenplay adaptations of "The Big Sleep" and "To Have And Have Not".

And I'm from Mississippi, too. Oh well, good for you, lady.

And good FOR you.

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger your fiend, mr. jones said...

sorry that happened... the site was taking a long time to reload and I got confused and hit "Publish" about a thousand times...


;<

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Pisser said...

Oooh! Jonesy can have multiples! ;)

My regular "seizures" are fine, but thanks anyway, Dope-a-Max!

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Orange: Thanks for the skinny on the drug. I know they always have to list all the side effects the test subjects mention, even if not related to the drug, and I'm glad your cousin is proof that it works! Oh, those NPR guys ALWAYS get me hot and bothered! I had a picture in my mind of what Ira Glass looked like, and when I finally saw a photo, he was EXACTLY how I pictured him! Geek love!

U-A Atheist: I'm glad you like the O posts, I shall continue soon! And yes, I'll dish post-tattoo about what they did and how it felt. I'm really excited about getting it, but, I'm afraid I might like it...too much...that whole pain/pleasure thing.

Mr. Jones: I'll send you my copy of 'Sound and Fury' when I'm done, with all the juicy bits underlined!

Mr. Jones: I'll send you my copy of 'Sound and Fury' when I'm done, with all the juicy bits underlined!

Mr. Jones: I'll send...ah, now I'm just being cheeky!

Pisser: I always suspected about Jonesy! ;-) A co-worker of mine has a 25-year old daughter who developed a seizure disorder and went on medication, and she wasn't allowed to drive a car for six months. SIX? MONTHS? Are they freakin' nuts?!?!

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Orange said...

Mona, are you sitting down? Do you have some privacy? Get a load of this: When I was at the crossword tournament and I was in the division B finals, doing a crossword on an upright whiteboard on stage, there was color commentary by two men, one of whom was NPR's Neal Conan. He was talking about me

And my best friend went to the same health club as Ira Glass a couple years ago. He doesn't do it for me, but she thought he was totally hot.

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Bored Housewife said...

hee....cute, sergei.

yes, Happy Anniversary, you guys!!! Ten's a big 'un. I absolutely love the tattoo idea--and cannot wait to see pictures! I have found, since having children, that just lounging around the house, being able to sleep in, screw a lot, and eat whenever, etc, is more fun than most vacations. Cuz, if you go somewhere and spend a bunch of money, you feel like you should "see the sights" or whatever. Screw that. quality alone time with spousal units is the most glorious of all. Enjoy it well!!

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Orange: Oh, Ira is totally hot, in that geek nebbish way I totally adore. And Neal Conan spoke about YOU? That's, like, orgasm material for weeks!

Annush: Thanks! I WAS thinking about having an arrow tattood on my butt, pointing downward...!

Sergei: On my ass, and on my breasts, and I'll show you where ELSE!

Lisa: Thanks! Welcome back from vay-kay! Being alone with Sergei for 4 days is the most decadent thing I can think of. And naked and drunk and tattood, I don't think it can get better than that!

 
At 6:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Maree Sneed and i would like to show you my personal experience with Topamax.

I am 27 years old. Have been on Topamax for 3 months now. Had severe debilitating migraines at least 2x a week. Had to stay in bed. I have a 7 year old. I was missing out on everything. Now I can get out of bed and get on with my day. I am down to maybe 1 migraine a month and it is functional not crippling.

I have experienced some of these side effects -
weight loss, no appetite, severe mood swings, emotional, yucky taste to cola, thirsty, thirsty, thirsty, extreme fatique

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Maree Sneed

 

Post a Comment

<< Home