Thursday, August 17, 2006

Poetry Friday WORD for Tomorrow, and The Oompa-Loompa Penguins

The talented and handsome Jeremiah has chosen the Poetry Friday WORD for tomorrow…go to his blog to see it…do not pass GO, do not collect $200, unless you take me out to lunch with it. His word rang with me, as I’m sure it will you. (Boy, I feel the need to write on the word *right now*, but I will withhold forthwith, as I’m sure the boss would appreciate me getting some actual work done today…what the poor sod doesn’t understand is that I could get a LOT more work done if he let me telecommute…all I need is a computer, Jethro, and perhaps a nicely foamed latte.)

If you are so inclined, please feel free to use the Poetry Friday WORD in your blog post tomorrow, in whatever fashion tickles yer ivories…story, poem, photo, recipe for bratwurst, audio link, erotic takeoff on airplane food, what.ev.ah.

In the car this morning, 6-year old Girl-child asked me this question: “Why are penguins and Oompa-Loompas opposites?” Brtrtrtrtrtrtrtr…rolling through my mental rolladex for reasons, the myriad, of why they could possibly be opposite…one’s an animal and one’s an imaginary character?...one sings the other doesn’t?...but they’re both the same in movie-star-ness and fancy dress?...duh…uh…what was she getting at?

“I don’t know…what?”, I gave up.

“Well, penguins live in cold weather, and Oompa-Loompas live in hot weather.”

Brtrtrtrtrtrtrtr…wha…?...oh yeah, in Tim Burton’s version, which we all have memorized, Johnny Depp mentions to the crowd that the reason the factory is so warm is that it’s the climate O-Ls are used to. Hah…why oh why does Girl-child remember THAT fact, yet she can’t remember to brush her teeth like I make her do EVERY NIGHT OF HER LIFE, and her underwear never make it to the hamper, and it’s NEVER okay to jump on the arm of the couch, dear Princess.

Huh well.

And now I’ll have Danny Elfman’s incredible music in my head all day…”Augustus Gloop, Augustus Gloop, the great big greedy nincompoop…”

7 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Blogger Lucia said...

I must just take the used the WORD in a recipe for bratwurst as a challenge...

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Lucia said...

Too much synchronicity! Too much synchronicity! The Oompa-Loompa song shows up in Mike Doughty's blog today.

The verification for this looks like a whole bunch swear words put together...you figure it out! omggbfg

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

I just saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (tim burton version) yesterday!

since I had a giant crush on Gene Wilder when I was little (don't ask me why, I just did) Johnny Depp's version just struck me as....perhaps he needed some meds. I enjoyed it, though.

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Lucia: If you write the recipe, I'll make it! Me and the Doughty man must share the same brain...if so, the same dirty thoughts about us in the shower....

Pinky: I must admit I LOVE the original, because I had a crush on Charlie Bucket. And still do. And Gene Wilder. And still do. But I love Depp's creepiness and Elfman's music. Plus it sticks to the book, which always makes me tingle!

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger karmic said...

Mona. In case you did not find the link for the NSA story. t was on the CNN web page, but not front and centre. here it is
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/08/17/domesticspying.lawsuit/index.html

link here

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Pisser said...

oOmpah-Loompahs are MEXICANS?!

Me ---> hell ---> handbasket, and
My boss ate a penguin.

That is all.

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Lynnea said...

I love the logic of children. Oh and also how they will just come at you with a question out of nowhere and they are just sure you'll have the answer cause your Mom! Its like cosmic mind reading sometimes....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home