Thursday, August 24, 2006

Poetry Friday Word for Tomorrow, plus the itchy head

The handsome and wise Sergei has chosen the Poetry Friday Word for tomorrow. I’m posting it here today, in lieu of LowlandSeed’s nap.

The Word is:

HAND

My brain, of course, immediately thought dirty thoughts about it. Then…well, no, it’s still thinking dirty thoughts.

Feel free to pepper your blog post tomorrow with the word HAND, in whatever creative bent greases your muffin tin…story, film, audio post, snow sculpture, song, memory of 11th grade sleep-away camp…whatever the word triggers.

Sergei gave me the Word this morning after we discussed heads. And after I told him the news and he said, “Oh, Snap!” Because when I got the kids to their day camp today, there were little notes everywhere, loudly proclaiming, “Cases of head lice have been reported.”

I think, I’m pretty sure, I said “FUCK!” out loud, and several times, but really, no one minded. Because we were all thinking the same thing. Bloody fuckin’ hell. Sure, any time there are children together, at the playground, in school, at Kindermusik or Gymboree, in the doctor’s office waiting room, there’s always a chance something like that could spread. But. Still. My spincter closed up so tightly upon reading that, it’ll be a wonder if I poop anytime in the remainder of this decade.

I quickly checked the kids’ skulls in the light of the fluorescent hallway bulbs and saw (thankfully) nothing. Boy-child’s camp instructor threw out the couch yesterday, and sprinkled “chemicals” on the rug and vacuumed it. Girl-child’s instructor…has done nothing, yet. They’re working on it today. So, now I’m horrified and a-scared, ‘cause school starts in less than 2 weeks and how would that SUCK if you had to miss the first days of school because someone-or-other infected you with squirmy lice? SUCK to the Nth degree, that’s how much.

Now I’m psychosomatically itching my head. (Yes, I checked my own when I got to work…all clean, except for some gray hairs.) And hoping to jeebus that the Girl-child doesn’t ignore my advice about sitting on the couch and playing with the dress-up clothes, which have yet to be fumigated.

Y'know, I had a lovely day off with the kids yesterday, shopping and relaxing and having a good ol' time...and now this crap.

Grrrr….

5 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, Blogger Lucia said...

Ever go with the first thing that pops into your mind? First thing that popped into my mind with Friday's poetry word was Greg the Surly's blog (http://gregthesurly.blogspot.com/...wish I knew how to do an actual link)which has this plastered on the top: Way more fun than masturbating with a cheese grater!

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Rikki said...

I check my hair every day for lice. My kid and I each have a ton of thick, longish hair, and the thought of dealing with lice terrifies me. Lucky for him, my husband is bald. It must be nice. ;-)

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can send your kids to my house. I worked in a group home for three years; lice is like house flies to me, nothing. I'll comb those little buggers out of their hair without even a flinch.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger karmic said...

Heh.. Had lice as a kid, not pleasant. I think I picked them up from sis or other girls in class.

The first thing that came in to my mind after reading the Friday word was something naughty. I did do the Friday word.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Megan Stuke said...

OMG now I'm itching my stupid head too. THANKS MONA~!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home