Monday, August 21, 2006

Mona started out okay, some quips about grammar and current events, and then she started talking about herself, yammering on and on, blahblahsnore....

1) I was filling out the paperwork for the day camp center this morning and the payment sheet said, “If paying be credit card…”…and I had to wonder…when did pirates start opening day care centers?

2) If’n ya’d offer some music that doesn’t sound like it was churned out of the Plastic Music Ditto Boyband Goodgirlgonebad Factory, I might just buy some of your CDs, mister.

3) My own company is joining the soul-suckingness of corporate greed and sending our customers “Begin Christmas/Holiday shopping NOW” mail. I’m so embarrassed.

4) 13 years old, 6 ft 8 inches, 256 pounds…uhhh…steroids?

5) I thought body-parts factories were the stuff of Frankenstein and late-night black-and-white movies.

6) Bizarre Medical Condition #4,138.

7) I have a hard time spending money on myself. Worse, I feel bad if I spend time on myself. I can’t justify spending $80 on highlights and a haircut when that would buy, gee, shoes and lunchboxes and school supplies for the kids. Days off ‘For Me’ (which I’ve done two times in my life) turn into either ‘Get the raging stomach puke flu’ OR ‘Rush around and do errands for the house, for the kids, for school, and then pick up the kids early to spend time with them and have them RESENT you for interrupting their play time.’ If I accidentally fall into nap-dom on the weekend or at night before tucking the kids in (and believe me, this has happened exactly 4 times in the last year), I self-flagellate by staying up late and cleaning out the magazine rack or sorting household items to give to charity or straighten the kids book shelves (of which there are a dozen-hundred). I keep reading articles about ‘hot moms’ who get massages and go on personal vacations and get manicures and take time-outs for themselves. I might as well be reading about how Martians tunnel underground to open super-warehouses full of sponge cake and meatballs, so much I don’t understand. My ‘bright idea’ to take a dance class this fall was squashed when I learned it was held on Wednesday nights only, which happens to be a night both Girl-child and Boy-child have sports, AND Sergei has council…and then I justified it by telling myself, “Well, belly-dancing means you have to SHOW your belly, and believe me, you’re just NOT ready for that.” I guess what I’m sayin’ is that I’m bitching about something seemingly out of my control, but probably isn’t. Am I done bitching? You bet. Will I bitch again? Absolutely. Just wanted to git that off my chest. I. Don't. Like. Mondays.

9 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Blogger jo(e) said...

I don't spend money on stuff like haircuts or clothes either -- and I've never had a manicure or a pedicure or any kind of cure. (I've never felt like any of my body parts needed to be cured, you know?)

But I do spend money on stuff like snowboarding or dance classes.

Belly dancing is way cool -- something like that is worth spending money on .... perhaps you can take it after the sports season is over with? It's a great way to keep in shape in the winter.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Lynnea said...

Pirate daycare - aye avast.
K, the six foot kid in the photo looks like he should be the coach!
Hey, if bitching is the most time you take for yourself, then make sure you do it regularly cause you deserve to spend some time on you. Taking classes is good too.
I have heard of stay at home moms who have nannies and go to the salon and so forth. Where is the stay at home part?

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Marcheline said...

OK, the creepy skin disease thing was something I definitely did NOT need on Monday... now I'm all itchy and paranoid about using public restrooms... igh!!!!

Re: "me days" - they have to be thoroughly planned, and occur outside the home to be successful. A "me day" where you just stay home and "try to relax" is never gonna work - you know that!

Go ahead - plan a day spa treatment, get the works.

Or take a book you've been wanting to read and go to the nearest state park or conservation area, and READ until you feel like not reading any more!

Or go to the movies (yes, alone!) and watch anything you want to, as many times as you want to.

Whatever floats your boat, you gotta do it outside the house to make it stick.

- M

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger karmic said...

Uh Begin holiday shopping now? They are not even being subliminable about it..

13 years old, 6 ft 8 inches, 256 pounds And here I am trying to bulk up all natural..well that I am more than 3 times his age. lol

And that's one creepy medical condition.

If bitching helps keep at it, although the alternate suggestions sound good too.

Good ole manic mondays..

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Megan Stuke said...

DO get a pedicure. The cheap-o place I go to does them for 20 bucks on Tuesdays. If you only do it once a summer, it's special and worth it.

DO take a break just for you now and then. But don't do it too much or A) it won't be special or B) you'll turn into ME.

And you are a HOT MOM no matter what.
xoxoxoxo

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Lynnea said...

I re-read my comment and it sounded a little catty, imagine that, so for the record, I think spa days, trips to the salon, and all manner of spoiling oneself has a definite place in every life, even stay-at-home moms. I am a stay-at-home mom after all. I was thinking faster than my fingers and meant to be referring to the moms who spend most of their time away from their kids who end up knowing their nanny better. Meow.

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger karmic said...

Oh BTW I think you are a hawt mom, whatever others say!

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you not married yet then? Ar I think I can tell.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Pandora Wilde said...

You really do need to take some time and money for yourself. If you need to convince yourself, sit down with an open Word document or a piece of paper and start listing all the things you do for others in a day. Then list all you do in a week.

When the page is full you'll have your list of reasons to justify a treat for yourself. After all, don't YOU belong on that page too?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home