Monday, October 20, 2008

Three-point-two-miles

The kids and I did a 5k yesterday morning...Boy-child ran it, Girl-child and I walked it. We girls had our fastest time ever. Boy-child had his fastest time this year. Girl-child also won a gift certificate to a local ice-cream place, which we attacked with gusto in the afternoon.

After the race I could barely walk. This morning I can't even tell I did the thing. I guess that's good?

Last night Sergei thanked me for doing that with the kids, telling me I was setting a good example for them, especially Girl-child.

Here's the thing...my parents never encouraged sports. Never encouraged working out, or athletics of any kind. They grudgingly shuttled me to 9th and 10th grade volleyball workouts, those dark mornings in the bitter cold of January that neither man nor beast should venture out into. And they rarely complained. But I could tell it wasn't high on their list of priorities (what was? working around the house. which explains my tendency to do just that.)

Our kids, OTOH, have been conditioned from early ages to get involved in physical activity...Girl-child has been taking dance lessons since she was 3...Boy-child got his black belt in taekwondo by the time he was 9. They've both played on soccer teams, baseball teams, and this winter Girl-child is venturing into basketball.

We don't push them. And when they get the hate on something (aforementioned taekwondo, as an example), we make them think very carefully about their decision before they stop lessons, and then we support their decision.

My point?

Not sure I have one.

Other than I should school my own damn self and get my ass moving with some regularity. A 5k here and there doesn't qualify as an exercise regiment. One or two 15-minute walks a day doesn't mean I'm in shape. Looking at the dumbbells in the bedroom doesn't equal actually lifting them up and working out my flabby biceps. I need to Move. My. Ass. On a regular basis. I need to totally discard my parents' disregard for physical activity, and learn from my kids' relentless pursuit of moving their body.

I need to cut the crap.

6 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Blogger Clowncar said...

I always wanted to walk the NYC marathon with a cigarette and a beer. Never did. It would've required getting up before 9. Ah, my indolent youth.

Good for you, getting those kids up and active!

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Gary's third pottery blog said...

winning ice cream, yahoo!

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger jaded said...

My parents were the opposite. They were more inclined to encourage sports than other activities. I hated sports, loved art. Now I'm scarred for life.

All things in moderation?

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Lynnea said...

i suppose the biggest thing I learned from my parents was rebellion. not that that was their lifestyle, quite the opposite.

activity is great, actually doing it, yeah i hear you.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Good goin' and as Nike says...Just Do It! You could easily do a 5 k walk a day.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Vulgar Wizard said...

Can I borrow your crap-cutting scissors please?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home