Monday, June 20, 2005

Smarty Pants, Smarty T-Shirts

When I was in high school, there were 56 kids in my graduating class.

Process that for a minute.

Fifty-six graduating seniors. We were the smallest school around, unless you count that church school that was run out of someone's barn, I think they had 5 graduate that same year.

When I took physics in high school, there were 7 people in the class, and I was the only girl.

When I took calculus in high school, there were 12 people in the class, and I was one of two girls.

The benefits of this extremely low teacher to student ratio were that we a) got a lot of hands-on time with the teacher, and 2) we got to goof off...a lot. We could justify dropping eggs off the roof of the school into the parking lot (near the principal's car) as a lesson in trajectory and speed. We brought in copies of 'The World According to Garp" and "Lord of the Rings" and "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" and read them silently for the entire class period (the teacher did the same). We'd finish the prescribed lesson in 15 minutes and spend the rest of the time discussing space travel and how people would colonize various planets and if you trained your lungs, could you breathe underwater?

Does this make me a geek?

I'm thinking...mmmm...maybe.

When I went to college, I took courses in communication, English, marketing, and theatre. I left math and science behind me. I graduated with a degree in Communication, with an emphasis on Telecommunication. I could work a light board, compute statistics for Nielson ratings, design PR pieces, conduct research, and mediate disagreements.

Basically, I could do everything and nothing.

Several years out of college, I got a job at an employment search company. They had a Radio Shack TRS-80 computer (does anyone remember these?), and I grew to love that monstrosity. It had these incredibly huge floppy disks (7 1/2") and was achingly slow by today's standards, and each time we had to modem information to our satellite office, I'd have to unplug my phone and do this complicated cabling thing to make the modem work...beep...boop...brrrrrrrrrrr!

I felt like the Queen of Data.

That job turned into another, and another, and now I design and test software for various websites and data hubs. I leave the programming to the guys, I'm just the devil-in-their-ears, doling out praise and helpful comments and demanding changes and pulling my hair out. Even though I don't write the code, I can understand it. The guys have always pulled me into their cubes and shown me what they're doing, explaining the commands and code and how it works with our systems, as they genuinely want to share their incredibly big brains with me.

I love my job. I tread the line between creativity and mathiness.

So I was especially geeked this morning to read Wil Wheaton's site and find some links to ThinkGeek, and some jaw-droppingly cool geek t-shirts. I like this one a lot. I also think this is cool but not sure who would get it without explaining the principle.

Take some time and peruse this site, especially if there's a computer guru in yer life. Even though I don't wear t-shirts to work, I can if I'm so inclined, so perhaps I'll put some of these on my Christmas list, and modify them with some strategic cutting of the neckline to show my decolletage, and flaunt SQL code on my uplifted breasts.

"Software" indeed.

13 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Blogger your fiend, mr. jones said...

Our High School was one of the biggest in Texas at the time and my graduating class was around a 1000!

We actually could goof off the same you could but it was because the class sizes were so huge. I can't recall if the teachers would read (or even have the same taste) like us kids.

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Sergei C. said...

Geek.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Orange said...

Yo, Mr. Tangerine is a software QA analyst/tester dude. He vexes the developers by pointing out what they've done wrong, and vexes himself by occasionally missing a bug. Can you relate to him? Because I really can't.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Pisser said...

I wish I could remember the name of the t-shirt company that used to print all these literary figures, scientists, etc. on your chest. There was also this one in the SIGNALS (PBS) catalog that said, in Latin: if you can read this, you are over-educated ;)

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Mr. Jones: I can't wrap my brain around how all those kids would get fed at lunchtime. Did a plane fly over and drop boxes of tinned milk and chocolate bars?

Sergei: I love it when you talk dirty, baby. Or are you just commenting on my hidden lust for Wil Wheaton?

Orange: YES!!! I TOTALLY relate to Mr. Tangerine! I'm QA/Test but since we have a small company, they let me help design screens, reports, batch jobs, etc. Does Mr. T. blog? (You don't understand, I don't know many people who do what I do, it's sort of like finding out you have cousins you never knew you had!)

Pisser: Do they have one with a pointing finger and "I'm with Stupid" in Latin? That would be so cool.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Orange said...

Mr. Tangerine thought that SQL t-shirt was hilarious. I told him you were gonna get the shirt and cut it to show your cleavage, and he asked if you were the one who'd had that picture in your blog. (Yep.) Then I read him your comment. No, he doesn't blog, but he says maybe he should so he can flirt with you. But if you think he's like a cousin, then maybe that's icky...

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Orange said...

And now I just scrolled through your archives to show him your purple-tank breasteses picture. "That's her?" he asks. I confirm. "Hmm, yes I could start blogging," he says. (I think you're bustier and saucier than the ladies in his QA department.)

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Orange: I'm chortling! Mr. T is a Funny guy! Yeah, I think for an IT person, I'm outside the 'norm'. Thank goodness! The guys in my department don't seem to mind either my bustiness or my sauciness, go figure! ;-)

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Rose said...

ThinkGeek roxx0r my soxx0r. Seriously, the hubby and I spend countless amounts of time on there just looking at all the T-shirts and stuff. To date he has a "RTFM" mug, a caffeine molecule long-sleeve, a black short-sleeve that simply says, "geek.", and one "all your base are belong to us" shirt plus some various and sundry other things.

He keeps threatening to buy me the "I'm blogging this" T-shirt.

And the more he learns geek-wise, the more stuff he wants. It's like crack.

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger annush said...

my graduating class had 60 people...our entire school (7-12 grades) was 500. I know what you mean.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Pandora Wilde said...

When Honey gets back I'm showing him the "I'm blogging this" t-shirt, then taking bets on how long it takes before he gets me one.

 
At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you are a geek...you are just a really smart person who knows ALOT! That's really cool (and brave) of you being in those classes with very few girls. That shows that you were doing what you wanted to. Great job.

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ours is an envionment where evil is perceived to be rewarded while good is punished. As with everything the Gods have a reason for creating this perception::::
People who fall on the good side of the good/evil scale have more favor, and when they do something wrong the Gods punish them BECAUSE THEY WANT THEM TO LEARN. The Gods want them to receive this feedback in hope they make corrections and begin to behave appropriately. The Gods DON'T like evil and refuse to grant this feedback.
EVERYBODY pays for what they do wrong, only evil people must wait until their next life before they will experience the wrath of the Gods, manifested in their reincarnation as a lower form of life into environments with increased/enhanced temptations.
Sadly, this allows the Gods to position this perception of evil rewarded as temptation, one which they use as an EXTREMELY effective corruptor.

Both Africa and the Medittereanean are regions which have sexual issues. This is a sign of morbid disfavor once you understand that females are the God's favored gender. Muhammad's (Mohammed's) polygamy halfway through his life as a prophet was preditory. Now a huge percentage of Muslims believes in male superiority and that the abuse of women is God's will. Female genital mutilation is still practiced in Africa. Black misogyny is the most eggregious example in the recent past.
Black member size is temptation to a predisposed population.
The patriarchal cancer spread throughout Europe because of Christianity, of which the majority of policy makers were Italian men. Expect the largest landowner in Europe and the continent's original superpower also played a major role in African slavery.

Militancy in Africa is consistant with the Iraqi example, as was slavery and the KKK here in America:::Fear enforces proper behavior. Without it we see what happens as a result of gross/morbid disfavor:::::AIDS, crack babies, dead young men in gangland retaliation killings. This is the purpose behind many black's historical tendancy towards resistance.
The same principle was true in Europe and throughout the world for centuries:::People whom lived under iron fists were conditioned to think the right way. As a result they experienced higher numbers of children accend into heaven because they were taught to think and behave appropriately, which they passed on to their children. Our preditory envionment of "freedom" was the primary purpose the Gods had when implimenting this strategy that is the United States, one which they used to spred the cancer of democracy and westernization throughout the world. And the Gods use this tool that is America to prey on the disfavored both at home and abroad:::Much like the ghetto, America in general experiences a heightened level of temptation due to the people's disfavor.

Even the Old Testiment is not to be taken literally, but the Gods do offer clues throughout to help the disfavored:::The apple is a tool of temptation used to corrupt Adam and Eve and cast them out of the Garden of Eden.
There is another lesson to be learned from this passage, and it is quite similar to the vailing issue and the discourse over women's attire which ultimately died in the 70s:::Women are responsible for and control the fate of mankind.

Think about what I say. Consider what I teach. Society is going to become disturbingly ugly as we approach the Apocalypse due to spiralling, runaway disfavor.
I do not know when this will occurr, but it is the God's way to grant some time before they end on Planet Earth.
Make the decision to always be good and never look back. Until you do this technology will employ tactics to test your resolve:::Ridicule, beligerance, doubt and refusal to abandon what people perceive to be their "investment".
Pray daily. Think appropriately. Too many are confident, unaware of the God's awesome powers or their status as antients. Others may fall prey to their positioning.
Be humbled, God-fearing and beware of the God's temptations, for everyone is tested to evaluate their worthiness.
Search rest

 

Post a Comment

<< Home