Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Boy-Child Fell Asleep on My Shoulder on the Bus Ride Back

I just got back from boy-child's last field trip of the school year, to a historical village set in the late 1800s. The place was nicely run by grandma-type women, who were now, in the early season, full of patience. We got the tour of the old-fashioned school, a farm house, a toll house with authentic plank road out front. And, of course, the gift shop.

Gift shop?

Hmmm...didn't know that had THESE in the pioneer days.

This was a class of second-graders. They had from $1 to $5 each, depending on the generosity and ability of their parents. Once everyone got through the store and bought their rock candy and American flags and homemade purses and bags of marbles and wooden flutes, they congregated outside for an impromptu parade. It was quite charming. My boy-child declared himself 'Flag Boy' and led the line.

On the bus ride back, I watched the kids interact. It's funny when you're not a kid how you can look at kids and see the type of grown-up they'll become. These kids are 8 years old, tops, and the other moms and I could point out the scholars, the jocks, the thugs, and the invisible ones. One little boy kept sticking his hand in my bag of wooden toys I'd bought, and I had to literally pull his hand out and say, "No Way, Man! That's mine!" He also later tried to steal someone's flag. I told him to cut it the fuck out (not really, I left out the 'f' word, but he could tell I meant business...I heard him USE the 'f' word several times on the field trip...hmmm...wonder how HE'LL turn out??).

I'm just glad my boy-child is who he is. Bright, funny, shy, outgoing with his friends, honest, creative. And loving. I guess this is my ode to the boy-child today. Lovelovelove that kid.

9 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Blogger jo(e) said...

The thing that used to surprise me (although I guess it shouldn't have) when I used to teach sixth grade was how easy it was for me to match kids up with their parents. Quiet polite kid? Yep, he belongs to the quiet nice parents. Loud obnoxious brat? Oh, that obnoxious man must be his father. Warm friendly kid? Oh, I bet that warm friendly woman is her Mom.

What I'm saying is you and Sergei should certainly take some credit for what a great kid your boy-child is ....

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

jo(e): Thanks. We'd like to think so! What is readily apparent at these outings is that the parents who volunteer to chaperone have the most well-behaved kids. I wish, for once, the parents of the trouble-maker-stealer-swearer kids would show up and see what their kids are REALLY like.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Orange said...

And what is it about kids falling asleep on the bus after a field trip? These same children can run amok all day and never so much as look drowsy, but put 'em on the yellow bus and look out for drool. Do you think the bus driver is pumping in fumes?

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Rob Helpy-Chalk said...

Do you think the bus driver is pumping in fumes?

Its the green vinyl benches with the really high backs that are packed tightly together. I remember as a kid slouching back in the seat and pressing my knees against the seat in front of me. It always put me to sleep.

The yellow bus has soporific power beyond ordinary car rides

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

They make school buses a lot nicer than when I was a kid. In my day, the seats all had these exposed metal handles at the sides and top which chipped teeth and eyeglasses, and dented heads when the driver stopped too quickly...which she ALWAYS did, just for her amusement. Nowadays they're highbacked with no exposed metal, and a lot cushier. The ride still has that nice vibraty rhythm that sends the wee ones packin'.

Kudos to Rob for using 'soporific' in a sentence, you wordsmith you. I find myself using words like 'didactic' and 'winsome' when I speak, and most ord'nary folks think I'm nuts. N-V-T-S. Nuts.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Orange said...

"The college boys found Mona's didactic demeanor to be both winsome and super-hot."

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Orange, you make me laugh, chuckle, guffaw, and fall all a-titter!

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Orange said...

Heh heh heh. You said "a-titter"!

I really wish I'd made you chortle.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Orange, I tried to chortle but it came out as a burp. I'll have to work on that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home