Wednesday, August 03, 2005

'70s Funk Music MEME

The sexy Avatar tagged me in a music MEME. I’m passing it on, but had to concentrate my selections within a theme (too much damn music out there). Since I grew up close to Detroit, and the music I listened to as a child was all stuff you could shake yer ass to, all choices are “70’s Funk” theme.

Sergei: “Sex Machine” by James Brown. (Oh, you know why!)

Julie: ”Do It (‘Til You’re Satisfied)” by B.T. Express. (Of course!)

Annush: “Treat Her Like a Lady” by Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose. (…and don't let them forget it!)

Bear and Marcheline: "Here I Am (Come and Take Me)" by Al Green. (Next to Sergei and me, the couple most likely to make out on the couch at a party!)

BitchPhD: “Fight the Power” by the Isley Bros. (Right on, sister! [holding up my 'power hand'])

Big Monkey Rob: "What’s Goin’ On" by Marvin Gaye, also "Mercy Mercy Me". (Two songs, I can't decide, your Thoreau-ness begs both, I think.)

Lisa the Bored Housewife: “Brick House” by The Commodores. (Thank god for braless Tuesdays!!)

Rose at Great Googly Moogly: "Sexual Healing" by Marvin Gaye (Your hubby's coming home Friday! Get you somma this!)

Laurie at HCPR2.0: “Jungle Boogie" by Kool & the Gang (See, I'm picturing us drunk in a bar shakin' our butts to this…!)

Francis Heaney: ”Groove Me" by King Floyd (Six Things = Groovy.)

Jo(e): “Hot Fun in the Summertime” by Sly and the Family Stone. (You have the BEST summer vacations, I want you to adopt me.)

Midwest Hick: Spill the Wine” by War. (Aren't you standing on a mountain top, naked to the world?)

Orange: “Lady Marmalade” by LaBelle. ( “Voulez-vous coucher avec moi, ce soir?”)

Overworked Avatar: “You Sexy Thing” by Hot Chocolate. (I don't need to 'splain this.)

Pisser: “Love Rollercoaster” by the Ohio Players. (Oh, it has to do with Cranky and LA, you know…)

QW Maine: “Tear the Roof Off the Sucker” by Parliament. (I’m picturing you in platform shoes, big sequined cape, Bootsie Collins behind you, comin’ off the Mothership. You could totally pull it off!)

Serra: "I’ll Take You There" by the Staple Singers. (Bring your crystal ball, and I'll bring the backup singers!)

Mr. Jones:Love Train" by the O'Jays. (Mr. Jones…Mrs. Jones…Baby Jones…CONGRATS! Oh, you almost got "Me And Mrs. Jones", but that was too easy.)

I would have added blog links and MP3s or lyrics, but it's almost 1 a.m. and I must get up to go to work in 5 hours. Catch ya 'round.

ADDENDUM: YRB magazine (Yellow Rat Bastard, and if you ask me, the greatest magazine name ever created), has a cover with my favorite funk uncle, Mister Atomic Dog himself, George Clinton.

17 Comments:

At 1:11 AM, Blogger freethoughtguy said...

70s funk, and no Brothers Johnson?

Get the funk out ma' face!

 
At 1:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Rose said...

Hahaahah! I thank you quite sincerely!

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Freethinker: Aw, funk it! I screwed up there...so I will dedicate "Stomp!" to YOU!

Anon/PS3: Thanks! I'll never see my husband or son once the PS3 comes out...I just played my first PS2 game yesterday, am I a luddite or what?

Rose: Tell us all about the 'Welcome Home' festivities! (Well, not EVERYTHING, I have a good idea about the sex part!)

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Sergei C. said...

Honey - that "anonymous" comment is a form of spam. Some "bot" left it as an advertisement. Your blog is, in fact, amazing, but hopefully that thing won't come back. You may want to delete it.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Sergei: Thanks hon, it did look suspicious. I'll delete.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Orange said...

Okay, while I'm delighted to be included in your list, "Lady Marmalade"?? Huh? Please explicate, dear.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Bored Housewife said...

Awesome. Love it!

(was that a fat joke? the size of a house, etc. hehehehe)

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Orange: Well, first it started off as a reference to 'orange'...marmalade...but then I had a picture in my head of you seducing your Mister by speaking french. "Hey sister, go sister, go sister, go sister...!"

Lisa: The size of the breasteses only! Wowee! And Braless Tuesday being the "she's mighty mighty, jes' lettin' it all hang out" day.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Agent 31 said...

Me and Bootsy go way back. He stole my star-shaped sunglasses, in fact.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Orange said...

Ah yes, orange marmalade. Of course. Though Mr. Tangerine cringes when I attempt to speak French—his French is better than mine...

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger your fiend, mr. jones said...

Bless you for not going for the song I have a love/hate relationship with... along with the inferior (and therefore a hate/hate relationship) "Mrs. Jones and Me" by Counting Crows.

And bless you for your blessings on our house... mazel tov, mazel tov.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Pisser said...

I *LOVE* Love Rollercoaster-! Didn't the Chili Peppers remake that...?

You are a psy-chickadee :)

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger bitchphd said...

Fight the Power works for me. Though it's very hard to remember what the Isley Brothers sound like, because Chuck D. has taken over my brain.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Pandora Wilde said...

Hiya Mona!

You picked the one song for me on the list that I'm not familiar with (I'm a transplant, remember? I led a deprived childhood), so I'm going to make Honey hook up the speakers so I can find it on MP3 and see whatcha did :)

Oh--and btw, question post for Ask YPF is up now.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger annush said...

you are too funny!

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger Marcheline said...

OH YEAH! You know it. Right on, baby!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home