Friday, February 24, 2006

Black Friday

My company is laying off today.

I know things that others don’t, and it’s killing me.

One of my best friends here got chopped.

I’m crying my eyes out.

I had a long talk with my manager today and, bless his heart, I’m spared. Most of our IT department is spared (except for the new guy we hired last summer, but he doesn’t know it yet. He helped me print some forms this morning and it was SO hard to look him in the eye and know in a few short hours, he’d no longer be my co-worker.)

This is only the second time in the 38 year history of my company that we've had layoffs.

The other time was 2 years ago.

I have a yellow post-it in front of me.

I’m writing down the names of all my friends who are getting axed.

I think I need a new job.

I think I need to write all this down, because this is just breaking my heart.

I hate knowing what I know

8 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger Orange said...

Awww...damn.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Tuesday Girl said...

That is terrible.
looks like you could use a drink.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Megan Stuke said...

Poor Mona. It's hard to be happy for yourself when this is happening to your friends and peers.

I, too, recommend a cocktail. Or seven.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger jo(e) said...

Oh, that sounds awful, Mona.

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Ryan Leighty said...

They really do that...lay people off on Friday a la "Office Space"?
Crummy.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Ariel said...

Oh golly girl, get some chocolate and have at it. That is terrible.

 
At 3:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blank postcard, they really do. Usually because it's the end of a pay period.

Even worse is when everyone knows a layoff is coming, the pay period ends, you're left to think you're safe (or to fret) over the weekend, and the ax falls Monday when you come to work.

Mona, my condolences. Watching a layoff happen is awful, and it never gets easier -- I've survived three.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger el.dude said...

Yikes. That's a tough spot, for everyone!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home