Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Blogathon, and then Mona rambles

1) The lovely and bloggy Rose from Great Googly Moogly is in a Blogathon! She and several other stamina-filled bloggers will be typing their little hearts out for a great cause. No matter how you feel about the war, no matter where your political affiliations fall, our soldiers are returning from Iraq with serious injuries. Please help The Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund and make their recovery easier. Go here now to donate! And see stalebetty for more details and links! Good luck, ladies!




2) You will have to forgive the scattered post…I have the rest of the week off work and am trying to cram several major projects in today, and it looks like I’m on the losing end of it. Feh.

3) On some blog I recently saw that there’s a word, an actual word, for ‘the act of throwing someone out a window’…it’s defenestrate. Isn’t that a wonderful word that sounds nothing like what it means? I also like ‘self-immolation’, which sounds more like giving yourself a manicure. I think it’s just a bit weird and scary that we have actual words for each act of bodily harm. What do you call it when some guy with brass knuckles socks you in the jaw and then kicks you in the nuts? There must be a word….

4) I was getting myself ready this morning, standing in the kitchen taking my meds and contemplating a very large coffee, when the fattest robin I’ve ever seen in my life bounced around in the little tree outside the kitchen window. I mean this thing was HUGE, with its inflated belly, looking like Shrek just blew it up and Fiona was taking it for a run down the path. Then the red-breasted creature started singing, loudly, and I thought, “Ah-HA! You’re the bastard that wakes me up every morning!” And then it occurred to me…it being not quite 7 a.m., and no other birds in site…the early bird truly DOES get the worm…and that worm…and that bug…and no wonder all those other birds are so skinny….

4 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

You call it the "Jaw-breaker - Nutcracker Special"!

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

MoI: HAH!!! I love it!

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Laurie Ruettimann said...

I have a robin that tries to mate with itself in the window at work. It's a sign from god, I think, to be doing more important things with my life like, uh, self-mating during the day.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

my brother always used to threaten to defenestrate my favorite doll, when I was a child. that's how I knew that word. plus in 7th grade french - fenetre = window. it all tied together :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home