Friday, December 08, 2006

Poetry Friday: The Word is DARK

Dark. What does that word conjure up in the addled spaces of your brain?

(Or maybe it's just MY brain that's addled. You should see my To-Do list for today. LISTS, plural. Yesterday my sister told me, "You thrive on stress. You LOVE to plan parties like this. It would suck the life out of my soul if I had to do that.")

And she's right.

Feel free to use the word DARK in your blog post today, in whatever fashion blows cooling subway air up yer skirt...poem, picture, song lyric, daredevil canyon jump play-by-play.

Me? Well, like I mentioned...TO-DO list. I let the word "dark" play around in my head for a minute, and now I will do a 5-Minute Free Write Brain Dump.

Have a good weekend, y'all!

5-Minute Free Write...the Word is DARK

Like most kids, I was afraid of the dark. My dad thought the best cure was to take me to a dark room, show me the moon and stars outside, and sneak out the room. Didn't work. Just like him teaching me to swim by letting go of me near the dropoff at the lake didn't work. Some things parents can't teach. Some things you just have to work out by yourself. I never learned to swim well. But I'm not afraid of the dark. I'm afraid of the light. The people you see there with smiles that aren't quite right, extending their hand to you, with a billy club in the other.

I never used to like dark chocolate either. Until a few years ago, when I had some really GOOD dark chocolate. Then it was like discovering how good scotch tasted, or how funny "Family Guy" really is. POW! And then you stick that "like" in your back pocket and walk around with it.

Donnie Darko. Very dark.

I've always wanted a dark room. Not so much to develop photos, but for the red light in the room. Sexy, that.

I tried to get a song lyric in my head just now that had the word 'dark' in it, but all I got was Gary Numan's voice singing, "In cars"...bah-dum-CRASH-bah-dum-bah-dum-CRASH.

Isn't there a song about a dark-skinned girl? Or maybe I'm just making that up.

5 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We all have some fear of the dark. Have a good weekend.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I used to be desperate for chocolate and nibble unsweetened dark baking chocolate from my mom's cupbpoard. It was horrible! Now the chipits were good!
They have indeed improved dark chocolate and it's even good for ya!!! (Well, maybe not the whole family bar!)

 
At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I hear the word dark I think of the super-crapfest flick Darkman.

Yes...

I am a nerd. ;)

Steve~

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Lynnea said...

I was terrified of the dark as a kid. To be honest, I'm still a little scared. On nights when my husband has to work late and I have to go to bed alone, I have to leave the hall light on or I will lie there hearing every noise and getting all freaked out and then having nightmares all night and its just not worth it.

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or maybe it's just MY brain that's addled. You should see my To-Do list for today.

You and me both! I missed the DARK deadline but enjoyed reading yours.

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home