Thursday, November 30, 2006

Poetry Friday Word for tomorrow, with a steady stream of obsession.

My company deals with a lot of supply vendors. We are, I believe, one of the biggest users of paper products in Michigan…or else it just seems that way. These vendors of ours happen to be a very nice lot, and very generous with their holiday gifts.

Too generous.

It’s not yet December, and here we are inundated with tubs and bags and boxes full of candy…”Thanks for your business!”, the labels all scream, while dark chocolate nuggets dance with bridge mix and exotic pretzels and imported-from-Washington-State-apples and meat/cheese trays and the occasional small gold box of baklava, which is devoured (box and all) by the first two people to discover it.

My belly hurts. This morning it was caramels and toffee.

I have no willpower.

I have no will.

Being that I’m now in a sugar-induced semi-comatic state, I am hereby officially and concretely stating the Poetry Friday Word for Tomorrow is: CANDY. Mmmm…candy. Please feel free to artfully decorate your blog post tomorrow with the word CANDY, in whatever flavour licks your lolly…story, poem, photo, audio post of you unwrapping that box of Godivas, a statue made of old candy wrappers….

Candy is also a girl’s name.

And the name of a movie I saw at a drive-in when I was very young. It was trippy. It was horribly inappropriate for someone so young. But my aunt and her then-husband wanted to see it, and they were babysitting, so….

I am easily obsessed. It’s been part of my personality for as long as I can remember. It’s one of the reasons I kept smoking, quitting, smoking. (I’ve been clean for 11 years, and now a cig would prolly put me in a state of helpless retching…no thanks.) It’s one of the reasons why, when I first heard an entire Dave Matthews cd, I ran out and bought ALL his cds…within a week’s time. It’s why I bought Alton Brown’s cookbook and read it…study it…and make notes. It’s why I rented three Daniel Craig films the other day. It’s why whenever dark chocolate comes within 500 feet of me, I follow it’s heady aroma, and then devour it. It’s why a song will stay in my head not just for hours, but days…weeks.

Now I ask you…what do YOU obsess about?

4 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are, I believe, one of the biggest users of paper products in Michigan…

Have you seen "office" the BBC series on DVD? They were in the paper biz too.
That what popped in mah head when I read that.

Mmm..@ Candy.
Can you ship some of your goodies here?

My obsessions depend on my frame of mind.. from things that all guys think about to video games, gizmos, gadgets, football.

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gilmore Girls, Law and Order.

Choosing paint colors for my walls.

Smoking. Making sure cigarettes are put ALL THE WAY OUT in ashtrays.

Johnny Cash

FoodNetwork

Sex and the City

Johnny Depp

Checking email and blogs.

And on
And on
And on

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

My OCD is that I have to have the first cup of coffee from the pot in the morning.

I check the back door all the time to see if my cat wants in!

I check to see that the iron is unplugged an zillion times.


Hmmm..that's a whole blog in itself!

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Lynnea said...

Blogs and blogging - definitely obsession there. Worrying about being "good enough" for my mother in law - don't even know how to explain that one. Oh, and I always want to be the first one in bed at night - so Hubby has to turn off the light and get in bed while feeling his way in the dark. Bad little me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home