Monday, December 04, 2006

What’s New, Pussycat?

1) Boy-child’s sleepover on Saturday night went well. We took the gang out to see ‘Flushed Away’, which was cute and charming with Hugh Jackman as the handsome boymouse and Kate Winslet as the plucky girlmouse. Tom Jones’ name is bandied about in the flick, and I came away with the song in this blog title in my head. Throw my panties? Indeed…!

2) Kudos to my husband, Sergei, for rustlin’ up the sleepover boys, making sure Hyper Kid from outside the school district felt included, corralling the young men to bed before 3 a.m., and waking at 6 a.m. when Hyper Kid woke to play yet MORE PS2. My hat (and my panties) are off to you. I will repay the favor next month, as Girl-child now says SHE wants a sleepover for her birthday. Yeah. Maybe I can sugar-rush them into gentle comas.

3) Ever since my eye surgery, I’ve been Quasimodo. The shunt tube in the corner of my right eye has effectively pulled the inner lids together such that the entire eye looks smaller than my left. Oh yeah, and I can’t wear eye makeup, so my eyeliner-and-mascara trick to make my already-small eyes look halfway noticeable is kaput. I can’t really be self-conscious about it, I mean, there’s nothing I can do until the ophthalmologist takes the tube out (in February, or March, or April), and meanwhile, the tube is taking care of my nasty ‘leaky-eye-slash-eye-infection’ thang. But. Still. Sometimes I pass by a mirror and peek at myself and think, wow, who’s THAT chick?

4) Saturday night I went to get Cheap Pizzas for the sleepover, and the young woman at the counter had that affliction, oh, whaddya call it, that thing that Michael Jackson said he had, where the pigmentation in the skin isn’t even, creating white blotches here and there on the otherwise dark skin. The Pizza Girl was very nice and we chatted while they made my special mushroom-only ‘za. While she took the order of a couple that were obviously high on something, I caught site of my Quasimodo-ness in the reflection of the big front window of the pizza joint, and then realized…everyone has something ‘wrong’ with them. I guess it’s in the attitude, that we either roll wid’ it or become a bitter bitch. Bitter is not a shade that looks good on me.

5) The boss is GONE today. So is half the Marketing department. I finally feel like I can breathe.

6) The out-of-state in-laws are coming to town Saturday morning to celebrate both Boy-child’s birthday AND Christmas. Which means I need to have their gifts ready by Friday night. And Girl-child wants to help me make a pecan pie. And I still have ‘family gifts’ to make, that everyone gets, like beaded ornaments, and fancy soaps, and spiced nuts, and framed photos of the kids. I am now, officially, “stressed out”. Please send good mojo. Or a mojito. Whichever.

5 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good mojo coming your way. BTW the one eye small thingy might make you look cool in a mean sort of way. ;)

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Lynnea said...

Wow, you survived a boy sleepover! Good for you and thank goodness for your husband!

Now to survive inlaws and holiday rushes. Mojo sent your way. What I could spare that is. Ha ha.

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger meno said...

The hell with mojo, i'm sending a mojito. Liquid mojo.

And on the girl sleepover to come. Try including some Nyquil in their bedtime tea.......

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bah...impossible to read your post title without following it up with Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa!

Yep...mojo...and mojitos...to ya!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Orange said...

Vitiligo—the pigmentation thing.

Ben and I had a good time making pecan pie together. Sure, plenty of flour ended up on the kitchen rug, but it shakes out.

I'm making zero gifts. I had one trip to Target, and I've ordered boxes and boxes of loot online. It'll have to do this year—oy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home