Friday, February 16, 2007

Poetry Friday: The Word is HEART

It’s a cold, sleepy day here in the Midwest. Not even fresh coffee is rousing my brain from its hibernating slumber. But now that I’ve downed several steaming cups of java, in my large-ish pig niche mug from my favourite potter, I can feel my heart start to beat a little faster, like a snare drum in an approaching parade…bum-ba-da-dum…bum-ba-da-dum-dum….

It’s Poetry Friday, folks, and the word is HEART. Feel free to charge up the paddles and yell ‘clear!’ in your blog post today, in whatever prescription the doctor ordered…poem, story, photo, love note to your third grade crush, embarrassing story of unrequited (or requited) love….

I’m listing it today, after contemplating a Five-Minute Free Write but abandoning the idea when I realized I couldn’t keep a thought in my head in a steady string for more than 5 seconds. (It’s cold, I need coffee, and a cave to curl up in.)

Have a good weekend, y’all!

Heart List

1) Sergei was right when he said I’m partial to song lyrics. Always have been. Words seem to steep themselves in the record collection of my brain. For example, with the word heart, now I’m hearing Kenny Loggins’ voice singing something about ‘heart to heart’, was it him or was it Loggins and Messina? Cory Hart, I always sing, when I see someone inappropriately wearing sunglasses. There’s the group Heart, Nancy and Ann Wilson, and although I was never a ‘fan’, “Barracuda” still gets my butt shakin’.

2) I have an irrational fear of a sudden heart attack.

3) My OB-GYN diagnosed me with a heart murmur last year. No, silly, he didn’t diagnose me by checking ‘down there’….

4) I cannot draw or paint for beans, but I can cut out pretty pretty heart shapes like a champ.

5) Yesterday I had a conversation with a co-worker about a certain sort of customer we cannot sell our product to…that sort of customer being prisoners. I told him the history of why our business model doesn’t support it, and said something like, “If ol’ Cletus is in jail for murder, he probably won’t pay for his order anyway, and we pretty much write him off, the deadbeat.” I said more than that, I forget what. I left to go fetch some printouts and then it hit me…my hand…my hand hit me, upside the head…quite literally…this co-worker, a really nice guy, well, his dad is in jail for murder. GAH. Stupid, stupid girl I am. I went back (sheepishly) to co-worker’s cube, and apologized…”I’m sorry, the things I said about prisoners…I mean, in light of what your dad’s going through…it was insensitive of me…it was heartless and stupid, and I’m sorry.” Co-worker smiled and shook his head and said, “Hey, it’s okay…it’s just as weird for my family too…don’t feel like you have to watch yourself around me, I’m okay.” Which was nice of him to say. And which made the day memorable in two ways…Co-worker really IS a nice guy…and that I should sometimes just shut my mouth.

6) Do you ever get that heart-thump thing, like, you’re sitting at the computer and all of a sudden you feel your heart beat outofcontrol justforasecond, and you take a big breath and then everything’s okay again?

7) Number 6) above used to happen when I saw a cute guy. Now it does it because of caffeine. Or the thought of getting 8 hours of interrupted sleep.

8) I’ve always wondered…why do we cover our hearts when we sing the national anthem? I’m sure it’s symbolic of protecting our heart against, oh, whatever, invaders or evil, but why that motion in particular? Shouldn’t we make some sort of motion like we’re covering our butts, or our frontal-bits? Or our brain box?

9) When I was little and we were poor, my mother would cook the most interesting things. My mom made beef heart once. Once. We didn’t want to eat it, but had to take a few bites out of necessity. Please do not EVER feed me heart, it’s just too weird.

10) I heart you.

10 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Blogger gary rith said...

and I heart you, too, Mona, and I heart piggies and thaks for the plug!

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger karmic said...

I heart you too, and your list is way better than mine. I got nothin..

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I get that heart "Kaflubbing" almost every day. I had it 25 times one evening so I wore a heart monitor for 24 hrs and only did it once...I haven't heard from them so I'm guessing they didn't find anything.

I've already had a minor heart attack almost exactly a year ago so of course, my biggest fear is having a major one.

What did they do about your heart murmur? I supposedly had one too a long time ago. have a bit of thyroid thing and diabetes...hmmm.lots of similarities to you...think they're all connected?!!!

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Lynnea said...

You had me laughing, I don't know if it was a typo, but you said your heart flutters at the 'thought of getting 8 hours of interrupted sleep'. Yup, I love interrupted sleep too. Come to think of it, its really the only kind we get once children enter our lives...or husbands for that matter...:-)

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger starry said...

I just stopped by to say hello.I think i am going to join in your friday words.I think its neat.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger meno said...

#6, all the time, especially when i am tired.

#1, i've seen Heart in concert a few times (they are local girls). That woman can really sing.

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Diana said...

Oh, you made me smile.

I used to love chicken hearts as a kid, until I realized what they were. After that, there was no one to fight my mom for them and she got to eat them all, along with the livers and gizzards and all the rest of the bits in that little paper sack they stick in the chicken carcass.

I'm sorry. Gross by nature and by nurture.

I promise to never serve hearts for dinner. Even for Valentine's Day.

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Laurie Ruettimann said...

I heart you. And seriously, I think you can diagnose a heart murmur down there. God knows I can feel my heart thump down there when I see Daniel Craig.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Number 10 is my favorite! Love you back Mona!

Do you ever get that heart-thump thing, like, you’re sitting at the computer and all of a sudden you feel your heart beat outofcontrol justforasecond, and you take a big breath and then everything’s okay again?

Yes. Usually when I'm looking at pictures of naked women! :)

Seriously, I think that's totally normal unless it begins happening several times a day. Then it's an abnormal heart beat and should probably be checked out. But what do I know.

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

One of our local radio stations does a "flashback friday" and that Corey Hart song was playing as I pulled back into the parking lot at work after lunch - I didn't get out of the car until it was over...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home