Friday, March 09, 2007

Poetry Friday: The Word is TEA

The Poetry Friday Word for today is TEA. Ahhh…such a lovely, warm word. Thanks to the uber-talented Gary Rith for offering it up in so many different glazed ways! Please feel free to use this word in your blog post today, in whatever fashion steeps your brew…story, poem, audio post, classy figleaf statue, lines from your favourite episode of Monty Python’s Flying Cirrrrrrrrrcus. (Sergei writes about the coolest wedding we've ever been to....)

I have a short post for now, something just went horribly amok at work and will take the rest of the day to fix. Argh…corporate America.

Have a good weekend, y’all!


Mona’s Tea Time
1) A co-worker asked me the other day, “Do you have any tea?” I laughed. A lot. I have a ‘collection’ of teas in my drawer, those pre-packaged bags that are easy to slip into a mug of hot water and take to a meeting. Yes, they’re not “real” tea in the loose-leaf-metal-teaball-requiring way…have you ever tried to manipulate a teaball when the boss and HIS boss are asking you about the yearly projections? It ain’t pretty or fun. I’m looking now…here’s what I have at work: Earl Grey…Early Grey decaf…Lady Grey decaf…Constant Comment…Constant Comment decaf…Lemon Zinger…Wild Berry Zinger…Vanilla Caramel…Spiced Chai…Ginger…English Breakfast…Chamomile…Lemon Lift.
2) My dad grew all sorts of herbs and plants when I was young and brewed them up into various teas. Most of them tasted terrible. The best was peppermint…just leaves and water. Maybe a little honey.
3) My favourite tea when I’m feeling lousy is ginger root tea. Simple to make. Take a ginger root (found in your local market in the produce section…it looks like a small man with crazy arms and knobs). Cut off a half-inch section and peel it. Slice it and drop into a mug, cover with boiling water. Let steep for a few minutes and sip The Elixir of the Gods. It cures whot ails ya.
4) There was a girl who lived next door to me throughout my childhood named Candy. Yeah. One day she showed me how to do a tap dance to ‘Tea for Two’. She was bossy and insisted I didn’t do it right. Later I found out that she’d never had a lesson, and just watched her older sister one day at her lesson. Bossy. Spoiled. Brat.

8 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Man, you could open a Tea Room with all that variety you keep stocked! I love Tea Rooms where you get the fancy cups and goodies. I wrote about the fancy tea my grandma always did for us.
My links don't show up for you and gary...don't know why..I did it the same way. It's only underlined if you happen to put the cursor on it.

I'd love to get my Tea cup leaves read again! Wonder if anyone wrote about that?

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger karmic said...

My favourite tea when I’m feeling lousy is ginger root tea
Our daily drink in the morning is, Lipton yellow label tea, made with some freshly grated ginger thrown in to a coffee pot.
Hope the rest of your day turns out to be better.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Lucia said...

Ah...you know there are a thousand ways to tap Tea for Two...and I'm sure yours was better!

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger meno said...

I should list the teas in my drawer. I could open a small store too.

I will but some ginger today at the store and try the ginger root tea. It sounds lovely. Do you ever add honey, lemon or anything?

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger gary rith said...

my cousin used to say, instead of tea, 'could I have some pee on my knee?'
why do I come over here to write something stupid like that? hmmmmm....

 
At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peppermint tea is great hot, but it's also great iced. Very refreshing on a hot summer day. And it's amusing to see the expressions of those who get a whiff of the scent, as they look around to see who's got a candy cane!

 
At 4:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a bag of jasmine tea that I leave lying around on my desk, which everyone else seems to think is dope.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Lynnea said...

I loooove tea. Bagged or loose. Most days I need at least one cup of English Breakfast taken with sugar and cream. I have maple tea which is delicious, and jasmine tea, white peony, Egyptian chamomile, and caramel tea. My grandmother once noticed that I like to hold a hand over the steam rising from my cup. She said she does that too, it keeps our hands warm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home