Monday, March 05, 2007

That’s Entertainment

1) Last week I sent out an SOS for a cd by The Jam (thanks, Maggie, for the help!). Since then, I’ve had Jam songs in my head non-stop. I woke up Sunday morning with “A Town Called Malice” in my head, remembering that I’d had an incredibly detailed dream involving my co-workers, my boss running around in boxers, a red metallic crocodile robot that inhabited the bathroom, and The Jam. Gary has listed some more videos by the Jam, and I found a couple more this morning that have me singing “la la la la la la la”. My cd should be here tomorrow. Is there such a thing as overdosing on music? I sure hope not.

2) I’m not much of a party person. Since the kids came along, most parties I go to are for the 10-and-under set, where parents start conversations but never get to finish them because of spilled soda or finding the bathroom rightnow or Mommy-come-see-this. Last Saturday was a Big Birthday Bash for one of Boy-child’s friends and his mom, who I know pretty well. She loved the mug that Gary made, and Boy-child’s friend went ‘Sweet!’ when he opened his gifts. I didn’t know most of the people there, and that old dirty bastard, Shyness, stood in front of me throughout the night. I chatted with the folks I did know, and was introduced to some people there, and exchanged small-talk. Had a brief conversation at dinner with an ACLU guy about a school district in our state wanting to ban books. Found out the hosts (parents of the mom I know) were actually Important Folks in the Community, and afterward I felt stupid about asking, “So, what is it you DO?”, when talking to Important Scientist Host. Grrrr. I don’t know what to do with this shyness. You all don't have that problem, do ya??

3) I had to take a detour to get to work this morning. This necessitated crossing through Local University, traversing several streets that have changed since I was last on them, and past The Place Where I Got Married. I’ve been traveling the same way to work for 10 years. There's no telling what I'll find in the next few months that I've been missing because of my travels.

4) And now…Let’s Dance!

8 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger karmic said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger karmic said...

Ya I am shy too, so you are not alone. Takes a while to get me out of shell.
I loved the hide in my skin poem by the way. It's very sensual :)

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger gary rith said...

Probably this whole gang is shy--I am so shy most of the time I can't even go to the grocery store. I get a lot of work done.

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger meno said...

I'm not shy, i'm reserved. That's my story and i'm sticking to it.

I just assume that most people don't really want to talk to me anyway. And what would i say?

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm shy but I hide it by being overly egotistical, speaking my mind and striving to be abrasive to people that deserve to be moved down a few notches. Try it, it is so satisfying!! Well, my wife hates it I am sure.. but still!

Dont you have kids parties? When I was a kid, all parents left and the kids had fun, now all parents hang around like it is an excuse to socialize.. and teh kids feel as usual nowadays, stifled and controlled.

Gorthos

gorthos.com/blog

 
At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry that should have said dont you HATE kids parties..

gorthos

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger your fiend, mr. jones said...

I was just telling someone the other day that I get a little claustrophobic (sp.?) at parties/parades/street fairs/etc...

...unless they're in my honor. Then, I'm very comfortable. ;>

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Orange said...

I was so shy as a kid, I couldn't even order fries at McDonalds—too scary to talk to the cashier. I went away to college and exorcised some of the shyness demons, and then working at a congenial publishing office killed off much of the rest of it. My husband is kinda shy, so we both find it strange that our son has always been so outgoing. He's a mutant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home