Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Mardi Gras, Midwest Style

It's Mardi Gras, and I am not drinking beer for breakfast and standing, half-nekked, underneath a balcony showing my tatas for beads.

It's Mardi Gras, and I'm not stumbling down the street looking for a par-tay and evading la policia.

It's Mardi Gras, and I'm not writing a list of Things I Will Give Up For Lent.

It's Mardi Gras, and somewhere to the south of me, folks are wearing big-headed paper mache, and dancing to Brazilian rhythms, and kissing total strangers, hard, on the mouth.

Here in the midwest, we're a little quieter.

The Food Table here at work is slowly gathering its bounty of cookies, brownies, crackers, pulled pork, and the inevitable and painfully delicious paczkis. Painful is an understatement with paczkis...they're tasty, sure...

bavarian cream, apple, cherry, berry, prune, lemon, chocolate, creamcheese, kitchensink fillings....

ganache, powdered sugar, plain toppings....

but eat just one and it will sit in your belly like a stone, leaving the eater to waddle around the remainder of the day like a yard or two of cement got wedged in there.

Tomorrow my Catholic friends will come to work with ash crosses on their foreheads, and we'll all remember why we ate like pigs the day before..."Ashes...and it's Wednesday...OH!...that's why I woke up with a carb hangover this morning!"

Come to think of it, I do have a string or two of cheap Mardi Gras beads in my bottom drawer...maybe I'll tell the guys they can earn them by taking off their shirts....

What are you doing for Mardi Gras today?

9 Comments:

At 10:39 AM, Blogger gary rith said...

Temps up to 42. For Mardi gras: I am wondering if I should roll around in the snow and mud, like the dogs are doing. Probably more fun if you have a built in fur coat. Maybe it is just easier to make a snowman...

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger karmic said...

You made me hungry. What Mardi gras? Just kidding.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger meno said...

I'll be visiting the dentist! Maybe he'll give me some beads for a flash.

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang! I forgot to get my annual lard and sugar hookup!

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Laurie Ruettimann said...

My brother had a theory that ashes gave him zits.

 
At 3:05 AM, Blogger Elliot said...

Many, many lifetimes ago, a wonderful person and I sucked on nitrous balloons on a balcony over the French Quarter and laughed until we couldn't even recognize each other. To celebrate, I am holding my breath for as long as I can, until voices begin to sound staccato. And, for the record, I never asked anyone to show me anything for beads. That's because, at least, I could wear the beads around my neck.

Happy Gras.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Marcheline said...

1. Downloaded a hysterical mardis gras picture and posted it on my blog.

2. Went to The Portly Villager (in honor of Fat Tuesday) and ate a lot of food, drank two beers, and went to see "Ghost Rider".

Woo hoo!

- M

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger pinky pinkerson said...

wow - I had forgotten entirely that it was Mardi Gras, yesterday - despite there being beads on the table when I went out for lunch with some coworkers.

believe it or not, I have never had a paczki. always wanted one, but since we 1) weren't polish, and 2) my parents would have died rather than bring a box or bag of them into the house. I don't recall EVER eating doughnuts, as a kid.

I do remember the signs in front of Farmer Jack's advertising "Paczki Day!

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I kinda forgot about it! Heck, I had a hamburger and then went to choir but we did sing a Gospel number...does that count?!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home