Friday, February 23, 2007

Poetry Friday: The Word is COOKIE

Time being of the essence today, I will get right to it…the Poetry Friday Word is COOKIE. If you are so inclined, please feel free to use this word in your blog post today, in whatever chocolate-chip-studded form you choose…story, poem, photo, oo-ey goo-ey rich-and-chewy sounds….

I have three offerings today. Being that Girl-child offered up the Word this week, I am publishing the story she wrote. Girl-child took an interesting angle…a story written from MY point of view about HER, including the word “cookie”. It’s suitable for framing.

I also included a short list, and a short recipe.

Have a good weekend, y’all!


Girl-Child Writes from the Point of View of Her Mother, Looking at Girl-Child

I like Girl-child. She is fun and she likes cookies and lots of other things. And we loooooooooooooooooove each other. It is a gooooooooooooood life. One day we will have a girl day it will be fun but I know we will eat lots of cookies lots of them ok. Back to the me and her soooooooooooo we eat good things. So we like to kiss and hug each other uh-huh of course! Now I should play with her if I can.


Mona’s Short List of Cookies
1) When I was a kid, my mother’s hairdresser was named “Cookie”.
2) My mother and aunts created a cookie recipe that is my favorite, to this day. Although when they gave me the recipe, they skewed the ingredients and procedures so mine would never turn out as good as theirs. I have, however, ‘cracked the code’, and plan to open my own bakery someday featuring this wonderful cookie.
3) I’m working on a project that involves me deleting and changing the cookies on my hard drive. Have you ever looked at the cookies on your pc? It’s amazing how many I have, even though I’m not what I’d consider a ‘rabid’ internet user. They’re a necessary evil. But still evil.


Shortbread Cookies
(These are easy and quick to make…and so tasty…they melt in your mouth.)

1 ½ cup flour
1/3 cup white sugar
3/4 cup butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend all ingredients. Dough will be stiff. Press into 9x9 buttered pan. Prick top with fork. Bake until golden brown on top. Cool and cut into squares.

12 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Blogger Sergei C. said...

It is a gooooooooooooood life.alt

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Sergei C. said...

"Alt"? WTF? Blogger 2 comments just spooged on my comment.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Aw! So cute! I love kids' writing!

I thought you were going to give us that secret recipe, but i guess you couldn't open your bakery then!

I loved the Cookie Monster on Ses. St.!

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger starry said...

Hi..I borrowed your word and did a cookie post.Hope it is OK. Love your blog and the post.the cookies look delicious.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger meno said...

The story is wonderful. I know you will, but make SURE you save it.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

I've got a cookie recipe that is very similar to that... except it uses clarified butter and you're supposed to dust the cookies with powered sugar.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Lynnea said...

That girl is a literary genius. She got the point of view exactly right. The last sentence in particular got me.

Now, I have to go do some baking, excuse me.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Cookies are the best ... except not the kind on your hard-disk.

No kidding, three ingredients is all you need for Heaven on Earth? :)

 
At 3:34 AM, Blogger Mona said...

hey namessake!...I keep getting the msg on my computer sometime 'reset your cookies'..I still do not know what that means:) I just get my way about 'computering' in a haphazard & self taught way. [ yes I am self taught at this machine] I still do not know how to add links to my blog :)
But I love tea & cookies...

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Lucia said...

I'm just having some fun here imagining what Cookie the hairdresser looked like!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger karmic said...

That girl does write well! And thats a very nice and simple cookie recipe.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Orange said...

So I've slacked off on reading your blog (and many others) lately. Here it is, seven days later, and I've just seen the cookie recipe, and I'm heading to the kitchen to turn on the oven, soften the butter, and make me some shortbread. Bad from a must-fit-into-bridesmaid-dress standpoint, but everyone loves shortbread!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home