Thursday, May 17, 2007

Poetry Friday WORD for tomorrow is a sexy, free-stylin’ thang….

Boy-child came home from school the other day, sighed, and mumbled, “We started Repro today.”

I misunderstood him and thought they were watching that Emilio Estevez movie.

“Repo?”, I asked.

“NO, Mooooom…repRo…y’know…reproductive health.”

Oh.
OHHH!!!

I knew it was coming, and yet, still, seeing my 10-year old standing in the kitchen with his eyes full of confusion and questions and “yuck!”, it startled me. My “baby” was learning about “babies” and parts and hormones and puberty, and while I’m up for answering any question, it was still a little nerve-wracking.

That being as it may, the Poetry Friday Word for tomorrow is…whatever you want it to be, SO LONG as it has to do with “repro”…choose a word about boy/girl parts (proper Latin or vulgar American, I don’t care, it’s your blog), talk about when you first learned about sex, draw a diagram of what your mom said periods would be like, whatever floats your little-man-in-a-boat when you think of that anxious time in 4th grade (or whenever) when you left childish things behind and learned how your parents and teachers and neighbors “did it”.

My favourite Repro question of Boy-child’s so far: “Mom, uh…do girls use deodorant?”

My favourite Repro statement of Boy-child’s so far: “OH! So THAT’S why there’s all those things under the bathroom sink! (Pause. Shudder.) Yuuuuck!”

10 Comments:

At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha. I'm still learning about babies.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Diana said...

Poor, poor Boy-child.

As a mom, I plan on dancing around the house singing "Tampons, tampons, tampons!" in a few years to really get the embarassment quotient out of it.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger jaded said...

Its amazing how quickly their learning curve goes from, "Ewww, that's icky" to "Aww man, this is sticky"

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Lynnea said...

Hey my son recently started in with questions and many misconceptions learned from friends. What an age eh? But hey, I wanted to tell you that I did a bit of research and found this book and my son has been reading it like candy. Its this one: What's Going On Down There?. It has info for themselves and what happens to the girls and so forth. We're pretty frank talkers around here so answering questions was not scary to me, but I thought he might want to have a resource for himself as well. Its a really great book. And now when his friends come up with cockamamy stories he has an arsenal of truth - his book and his parents - to know the real skivvy. :-)

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Sergei C. said...

The eldest Serglet has a couple of pretty good books, and he's been busting them out daily. This morning he wanted to take one of them to school with him to share with people who might have questions they aren't sure about asking. I told him that was a very thoughtful idea, but that he should ask the teacher contributing sex-ed materials from home. He and I had a very thougtful discussion about menstruation, birth control, and gestation yesterday.

(For those not in the know, when I blog about the children they are the elder Serglet and younger Serglet; when Mona does they are the boy-child and girl-child.)

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Lynnea said...

Sergei, cool. It would seem that you have much the same philosophy as we do here - open communication is always better. What a thoughtful guy your boy is!

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger meno said...

And so it begins. I know that you and boy-child will do really well with this. Some of our best dinner table conversations revolve around Repro issues.

And patches cracks me up.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Once you've climbed aboard the Repro Train, there's no going back! Interesting ride in store for you! Good luck!

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Laurie Ruettimann said...

Little does he know that he'll marry a woman like his mom, who talks about this stuff openly and has no shame. He's a lucky boy!

 
At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mona, thank my lucky stars and garters for you--you just restored belief in my own sanity. I thought I was the only person in the world who had ever seen Repo Man. I mention the Lattice of Coincidence and where it came from and I get blank, uncomprehending stares. I mention going on a quest for generic Beer and people think I'm a lunatic.

Heavens forbid I mention the seemingly mystic powers of vending machines.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home