Thursday, May 10, 2007

Poetry Friday Word for tomorrow, and the bitch within

Not last night, but the night before….

The storms came. Shook the house with cannon booms, rattling both kids out of their beds and into ours. It’s a queen bed, but it still fit…papa, boy, girl, mama. Curled and cuddled. I left to get Kleenex to sooth spring sneezing, and came back to find boy and girl had curled up together, him in the protective brother pose, she clutching the sleeping agent known as Pink Baby. My heart melted.

We didn’t sleep much. Thunder, lightning, and the endless kettledrum of rain at the window, which is soothing to me but no one else in the house. The kids were restless, and I had to prop my arm uncomfortably under my head to accomodate the extra bodies and the tossing, turning, kicking, grabbing, whimpering.

My hair is a fuzzy kinky mess from the humidity.

The air smells like wet animals, damp socks, and moldy earth.

It’s kinda nice, truth be told.

The Poetry Friday Word for tomorrow is RAIN. Please feel free to use it in your blog post tomorrow, in whatever manner dampens your squeegee…poem, story, photo, recipe for chicken n’ dumplings, audio post of you in the rain fiddling with your car keys while the groceries fall out of the bag….

I haven’t posted the last few days, which felt strange, but I had nothing to say that wasn’t bitching. And I’m just tired of bitching. Because I always bitch about ME and the stupid goings-on of my body. It still sucketh, don’t get me wrong. And I DID have a breakdown at work on Tuesday, when it seemed I would never get better. I cried for nearly an hour with my friend Connie, who has, luckily for me, gone through the same thing and gave me endless amounts of strength and advice. Dammit, but we all need girlfriends like that.

And.

I think now, my head has stopped spinning and writhing. My body has calmed down. I’m still crossing fingers and toes and every body part that The Pill will be Magic.

And today, I brought cookies to work.

Hoo-rah!

9 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Blogger jaded said...

I like thunderstorms too! I usually leave the bed and lay on the sofa. The light show is so much better in the living room....What kind of cookies did you bring?

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Coconut cookies and soft chocolate chip...oh, and someone brought fried chicken and someone else brought nachos. Yeah, the diet is pretty much gone today.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger meno said...

I live in Seattle, i know rain.

Now i want a cookie.

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Bored Housewife said...

Good luck with the Great Pill Experiment! I have turned into a hypochondriac, so I could bitch about my health with you...even if mine's fake, it's still fun!! (no, really. I'm convinced that I am diabetic and about to have a heart attack and that my feet are both about to fall off. Doc says no, but I'm going for a second opinion...)

You are spectacular.
And so is the bulge in Robert Plant's jeans.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Megan Stuke said...

Mona, I have a doc appt on Wed. for what sounds like it might be starting to become very similar to your "thing".

here we go. I'm only 33. This can't be happening.

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rain. The word alone is poetry. There is nothing finer in life than a rainstorm. Except making love with someone during one.

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

oh. all of what I was about to say dissappeared when I read irrelephant's comment...

 
At 12:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Aw, sweetie, I hear you. *hug* Rant, roar and rave. It sucks, and it's not fair.

Meno lies. It doesn't rain in Seattle. I got a sunburn there. Oh, whoops, I wasn't supposed to say that. Now they'll have me killed...

How 'bout what Irrelephant said instead. Rain+lovemaking. Is there anything better? I think not.

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger gary rith said...

rain it is

 

Post a Comment

<< Home