Thursday, April 26, 2007

Poetry Friday Word for Tomorrow, plus triple trouble

Irrelephant said it.

To my post on Tuesday.

“Let’s make a list of the clouds…” That one really caught me—poetic, surreal, and very enticing. You ought to save that for a Poetry Friday.

Alright then.

I will.

Per Irrelephant’s idea, the Poetry Friday WORD for Tomorrow is…CLOUD. Feel free to use it in your blog post tomorrow, in whatever fluffy white pillow you choose…poem, story, photo, Gabcast, mashed potato sculpture of mountain ranges, airing of dirty laundry, recipe for triple-chocolate fudge….

These days are just packed. This is Hell Week for me, with appointments and field trips, birthday parties and volunteering, carnivals and soccer games, and enough projects at work to drown me. You should see my calendar…it’s the scariest gdamn thing. I have written on each calendar day to the minute when I have to be at work, around all the other stuff that’s going on. I got up before 5 a.m. today for work, to ensure I can make my dentist appointment at 8 a.m. (but haven't done a good job of flossing, and yes, the hygienist should yell at me, I deserve it). I have post-it notes lining my pc monitor, yelling out times and directions and call so-and-so and RememberThis!

Holy shit.

Plus there’s other stuff goin’ down that’s both elating and frightening…I’ll write on’t soon.


Need your input here….

Girlchild was invited to 3 birthday parties, all happening in the next week or so. THREE. For girls. Turning 7 years of age.

THREE!

Holy crap.

Two parties she can’t make (Hell Week for her, too), but they’re good enough friends that she wants to give them gifts anyway.

What can I possibly find that’s fun, affordable, unique, and age-appropriate for three girls? Suggestions?

11 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Blogger Dan said...

What can I possibly find that’s fun, affordable, unique, and age-appropriate for three girls? Suggestions?

Amazon has gift suggestions for pre-teen girls here.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Lynnea said...

You know your local super bad guy store has nifty little beginner beading kits - but I can't remember how much they are. For that matter, I remember the big chain craft store in the states (if you have one near you) had a whole aisle of crafting kits and fun things for kids. I think 7 year old girls might like that...

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Diana said...

Ooooh. Good luck with the Hell Week. I agree with Maggie. Something arty or crafty. You could even do an assortment of washable pens and glitter and scissors that cut wavy lines, some pretty paper for around $10.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger meno said...

Little girls are so easy to shop for. Go into any store that sells glittery crap and buy some.

If you want to annoy the parents get henna tattoo kits. That might cut down on invitations to future parties. :)

 
At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mona, I'm simultaneously flattered and terrified that you called me on that one; feels kinda like my first sexual experience, except without all the cops and the ambulance and the ferret.

And having raised a now 11-year old girl mostly as a single Dad I gotta agree with the prior suggestions--any sort of little crafting kits can always be bought inexpensively (think Dollar Tree or Dollar General) but give a lot of play time for the buck. And heck, they might learn something fun from it. Craft kits got me through a TON of Little Girl Birthday Parties. And Christmases. And Easters. Etc.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Megan Stuke said...

How old are they?

I bought some purses for my neices lately at Michael's (craft joint - do you have them there?) for like a buck and a half apiece. Then I gave them a couple of tubes of fabric paint and let them go nuts. The purses were cute - made of denim and looked like a mini-skirt, rivets and all.

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Laurie Ruettimann said...

What happened to savings bonds as appropriate gifts???

 
At 7:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep.Definitely sounds scary. I'm one of those that prefers to make my day (life) up as I go along.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

My comment got eaten! I suggested fabric markers/paint on white t-shirts or wooden cut-outs they can paint and make magnets.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

I was going to suggest t-shirts and markers, too.

(my 8 year old just, all on her own, asked if she could decorate one of her shirts. She sews embroidery thread into her jeans, too.)

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Marcheline said...

Give them each an empty paper bag tied with a ribbon.

When they open it and ask what it is, just tell them it's the same underwear Britney Spears wears!

8-)

- M

 

Post a Comment

<< Home