Thursday, April 12, 2007

Poetry Friday Spreads the Love, and Say Hello to My Little Friend

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I have no Poetry Friday word for tomorrow, have not asked one of you lovely writer/bloggers for one, and have decided to leave the ball in all your respective courts for this week…if you so choose, feel free to make up your own Word for tomorrow and post on it. If you do not choose, please feel free to scour Teh Internets for the wackiest thing you can find, and report it. I’m always up for wacky.

The ‘circumstances beyond my control’? My body. In itself, wacky. Also unpredictable. And gross. I’ve been trying to figure out a way to blog this that won’t have you women grabbing your abdomens and you men running screaming from this blog for the entirety of forever.

Okay. Here’s the best I could come up with.

Tuesday morning, very early, my body decided to recreate the climactic final scene from “Scarface”…y’know the one.

I awoke wondering who stabbed me during the night. Then realizing it was the Crimson Permanent Assurance making it’s monthly cruise into port, but a band of cut-throat pirates had hijacked the ship, and what used to be a voyage on changeable seas became this ‘thing’ of epic, scary proportions.

Am I being vague?

Okay.

I was hemorrhaging.

Not just ‘Aunt Flo making her monthly visit’, but bleeding like I’d never seen. I don’t even want to try to describe it. Scarface. That’s it.

The on-call OB said that if the flow got “X” intense, and/or if I started to pass out, I should go immediately to the ER.

I corked myself up good and went into work Tuesday morning anyway.

Stupid work ethic.

Around 10:30 a.m., in the middle of a Projects Meeting, the room suddenly started turning gray, I couldn’t hear well, and I could feel myself slipping down the rabbit hole of certain pass-out-ed-ness. I had fortunately told my boss that morning what was going on, and when he saw me ashen, and mumbling, “Uh…I think I’m gonna pass out,” he rushed me to the ER, where my lovely and wonderful husband met us.

Oh baby, I got the workup…IV, foley catheter, pelvic exam, regular ultrasound, ‘interior’ ultrasound with The Wand. There was a lot of waiting. In the end, they didn’t have to give me a transfusion. I was stable, they sent me home with my lab results, and the directive to see my regular OB ASAP.

Wednesday I tried to go to work. Didn’t happen. I spent the day sleeping on the couch with the cat curled up at my feet.

It’s now Thursday, and I am at work. Sitting quietly. The torrent has let up, and is now a regular rain shower, partly cloudy, with chance of calm.

I see my OB this afternoon, where we will discuss my options. I have these, and the best way to get rid of them is this, but it’s just too extreme. For me. Right now.

At least the storm has passed. For a while, anyway.

13 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Blogger Orange said...

Sorry to hear about your fibroids. So sweet of your boss to send you to the ER! (Rather than leaving you passed out at the meeting table.)

You know how I know how freaked out this has made you? You didn't say anything nice about The Wand.

I have no advice re: fibroids, but hope you find a treatment approach you're OK with.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger karmic said...

Sorry to hear about this. I hope and pray it all works out well.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Orange: I knew you'd catch that! Yes, me and The Wand usually have a very nice romantic lil' thing there, but not this week...oh no, it was ALL bid'ness.

Sanjay: Thanks!

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Laurie Ruettimann said...

I haven't had a period in a couple of years. Thank you, IUD.

I'm sending good, uterine karma your way. Hang in there, lovely lady! xxxooo

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, darlin', I know how scary that is. Take care of yourself. *hug*

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Gordo said...

Wow. I'm truly at a loss for works. Good luck with your OB.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Faith said...

Seeing what the solution is to fibroids made me audibly gasp at my desk. I'm so sorry for you!

Glad you're doing better, though, and thanks for updating. We's here in Kansas like to pray for ours fave folks when they go through the rough stuff. (And at other times as well...)

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger jaded said...

Damn, Mona, that's no good. Good of you to give your boss the heads up, although passing out during the meeting does make things exciting for your coworkers. I hope you and the OB can find a less extreme solution. Seems like that is the popular solution for all problems that occur in the Bermuda triangle.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger meno said...

Oh you poor thing! I hopr that you and the doc can come up with a solution that works for you.

I am impatiently awaiting menopause so that i can no longer relate to this.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Being a babe sure has its drawbacks. I had all that and the fibroids shrunk in menopause. It's a relief not to have to plan your social calendar around how heavy it might be that day! I've not missed it at all these last 2 years!

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Bear said...

Mona, I am dismayed to hear that you are going through all of this... Marcheline and I both hope and pray that it works out for the best for you, and that you make a full and speedy recovery... you are in our thoughts and prayers...

Feel better...

In Peace & Brotherhood,

Bear

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Lynnea said...

Man oh man, I'm thinking about you. So sorry Sister. And eat dark green leafies and beets - keep your iron up. :-)

 
At 1:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish I could send some good karma your way, whether it be instant, regular or fresh-frozen.

Hope Sergei's been working out regular. I nominate him to give you extra hugs on behalf of your fans, one for each of us.

Hang in there, Mona.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home