Monday, April 30, 2007

Keep it Dark

The days are getting longer.
The days are getting warmer.

Unfortunately, all this new daylight is messing with my head.

The last couple nights, I’ve tucked Girl-child in her nightly bed while light still filters in through her blinds. And it’ll only get worse.

This morning as I drove to work, I could see the sun starting to wave its hands at the horizon line…”Goooooood MORNIN’, Mona!”, it screamed.
I am SO not a morning person.

I want to come to work in the dark.

I want to see the traffic lights glaring, streets and streets ahead of me…amber and ruby and jade set against blue-black backdrop.

I want to feel the orange glow of parking lot light, bathing the dull pavement as I drive in, bouncing off my face and making crazy hazy shadows in my car.

I want to know the world is still asleep, as I bounce in insomnia circles, spinning through projects and coffees and early bird conversations.

I realize I could have darkness on my way to work, but that would entail getting up at 4 a.m., and I'm not getting enough sleep as it is.

Stupid me, I couldn’t wait for Spring to get here.

Now that it is, I want some darkness back.

(Dammit, now I have that Genesis song in my head.)

9 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Blogger jo(e) said...

All this light in the evening keeps tricking me. I think I've got a whole long evening ahead of me because the sun is shining -- and then I look at my watch and realize it's 8 pm on a school night and I haven't even made supper yet ....

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Lucia said...

I love this light. I want this light. I worship this light. Give me more daylight! Gimme, gimme, gimme.

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Lynnea said...

Mona are you a vampire and just not admitting it? :-) I love the light like Lucia. I need it.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Elliot said...

You saw the pics of my commute. Light makes me glad I live where I live, though, I also did enjoy going to work in the dark, especially when it was cloudy and rainy because then it all seemed so mystical and, since I wasn't always so chipper about having to slog in to a job, appropriate.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger meno said...

What lucia said. Bring me the light. I love it here in mid-summer when it gets light at 4am and stays thay way until 10:30 pm.

 
At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only joy I ever had working the very early shift at a job years ago was that I could go roaring down one of the main streets in town on my bike, 80mph at a minimum while all the traffic lights blinked yellow. Naturally the whole time I'd be humming "Crockett's Theme" in my head.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger jaded said...

Work is easier to accept in darkness. Perhaps you could snatch a pair of those large plastic cataract glasses off an unsuspecting senior citizen leaving the eye doctors office.

These days a welcome the daylight, lucky me.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Into the light for me! The only thing I'd hate about morning sun would be if I had to drive into the east with the sun glaring right in my eyes. I can't see worth a darn then!
It's 8:30 p.m. and not completely dark yet! Ya gotta love that.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, yeah, it totally messes with the boyos and bedtime. Ga!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home