Thursday, September 27, 2007

Poetry Friday Word for tomorrow

In my line of work, in many careers of a specialty nature, and in our everyday lives, there are words and phrases we use that others do not understand. We develop shorthand ("IDK, my BFF Rose"), and we go the extreme and find new words to describe everyday objects and events.

When I'm here at work with the IT guys, and we're doing our computer thang, we find different words for swearing. Because although it feels really good to say, "That fackin' database isn't capturing my damn information!", there are those who take offense to such language.

So we geek-speak our way around it.

When something doesn't work, we say, "That thing is hosed."

Or, "My code is full of dingus."

Or.

My favorite.

"Your screen is honked up."

Honked.

Like a goose.

Like a goose that comes in your backyard with a gaggle of his friends and craps all over your lawn furniture, and chases your pets, and makes such a noise that you call your old Uncle Phil and ask him very nicely if he wouldn't mind coming over with his rifle and a few pockets of ammo.

The Poetry Friday Word for Tomorrow is HONK. Feel free to use it in your blog post tomorrow, in whatever fluffly down-covered variation you wish...story, poem, photo, fine piece of software programming, chocolate-cream-filled delight....

Because my blogging this week?

Honked.

5 Comments:

At 4:32 PM, Blogger Lynnea said...

Honked up - that's brilliant.
We were pretty crass at my last two places where we wrote code and often just did the swear thing. But we didn't have anyone other than us coders around to hear it. I did have a habit of calling debugging 'hunting wabbits' and when I found the issue and fixed it I would yell, 'I killed it.'. What can I say, I was/am a newbie, little things excite you.

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vulgar Wizard and I have taken to using the 'new' cuss word invented on a news cast on The Family Guy-- "cleemon." If you say it with the right tone of voice it sounds quite filthy, but it's a nonsense word. I also discovered today after listening to the news concerning the fiasco in Burma that if you say "junta cleemon (HUNT-uh KLE-emun)" in just the right way you can make people blush. *grin*

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger meno said...

We used hosed all the time. It's quite satisfying. The honkin' geese do the poop dance all the time on our beach.

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Pisser said...

I love geese. A goose used to follow me around and honk for dog food. My dogs, for some reason, are called "weenie geese".

Weird. No wonder I'm confused.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Phiz said...

HONKED!!!!! BAAAAHAHAH! I love it.
fackin LOVE it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home