Monday, September 10, 2007

World from the bottom of a well

I have been unmotivated and unable to blog. As is evident by my lack of. Blogging. First I was in hospital, then long and lazy weeks of recovery at home, then last week started up the kids’ schools and I headed back to work and that whole frantic lifestyle kicked in, and my brain, when it has a few minutes, wanders to jeebus-knows-where.

Maybe the doctor accidentally severed my blogging nerve?

I had a post in my head last night, but can’t remember it. So I’ll do what comes easily…a list.

1. After 7 weeks of doing practically nothing and eating practically everything, I stepped on the scale last week and had this reaction: “Oh! Shit! So that’s what desserts four times a day will do!” I started a South Beach/Atkins diet and have dropped a couple sympathy pounds. I’ve never done well with carbs. I do very well with protein. I have high hopes.

2. I’m resuming my regular physical activities. Like walking. And weights to make my arms look less like marshmallows. And some Kegels, just because.

3. Of course, tonight Boy-child’s school is having their annual Ice Cream Social. I’ll take a bottle of sparkling water. And smile broadly.

4. During my recovery, I became addicted to The Discovery Channel. And to VH1 Reality shows, specifically Scott Baio is 45 and Single, Rock of Love with Bret Michaels, and The Pickup Artist. Yes, I am ashamed, thanks for noticing.

5. I see the dentist tomorrow morning, and no, I haven’t been flossing regularly, and NO, I can’t afford that crown we’ve been putting off for a year now because I’m still paying for this summer’s operation. I might just eat some oreos before I see the hygienist, ‘cause I’m evil like that.

6. What can y’all tell me about Neil Gaiman? I’ve heard his name bandied about on Teh Internets for ages now, and recently bought “Coraline” for Boychild and me (but which I can’t start until I finish reading “The Princess Bride”). What should I know about Neil?

12 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Blogger jo(e) said...

Hey, welcome back! I've missed you.

When you didn't post for awhile, I just figured that the doctor had given you the green light for sex and you were making up for lost time ....

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Megan Stuke said...

Just glad to know you're okay. Good luck at the dentist. Last time I went it was comparable to Little Shop of HOrrors due to my lack of flossing and the crown that I am also putting off.

Glad you're well - if stupid busy.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Lynnea said...

So relieved to know you're ok! Welcome back.
I do miss the Discovery Channel - Daily Planet, Mythbusters, How its Made, the occasional battle bots. Nothing wrong with that kind of addiction.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Neil? Neil Gaiman? Oh, darling, you've come to the right place. :-)

Neil got his start with DC Comics back in the late eighties, in a series he wrote called 'Sandman'. Adult comics, they cover everything from hell to heaven to unemployed gods to the Queen of Faerie to transsexuals to the secret life of cats. And The Endless. And The Dream King. Pick up a tradecopy, you'll love it. These are his masterworks.

As for his novels, well, they are very good, hit on different levels (Coraline can be read by young adults on up) and usually have to do with alternate worlds, gods, fairies, and big bad nasties. He has a very dry wit and boundless imagination. Read 'Neverwhere' (It takes place in London Below, an alternative London just under our noses) 'American Gods' and 'Anansi Boys'. 'Stardust' is good too, and different from the movie, so I hear.

What else? His female characters tend to be a bit flat, which is my only bitch. He is a very sweet guy in person and allergic to wheat, something I'll keep in mind next time. Anything else?

 
At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back Mona! And I blame your lack of interest in blogging on your interest in the guys on Mythbusters and all those animal shows.

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger meno said...

Mona? Mona is that you?

It sounds like you. Welcome back.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Welcome back to "our" world. Hope you regain all your energy so you can take off the pounds you think you need to and feel good.

(It's the hormone thing that makes you forgetful!)

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Ooooh, I resisted Rock of Love for as long as humanly possible, but then, ya know...I saw Brett perfrom from 7 rows away and I thought, "Hm...maybe I'll check out that show..." Dude needs a facelift. And boy was I surprised at much I can love such a baaaaaad show!!!! Ahem.

Reading The Princess Bride is such a warm and happy memory for me. Thanks for making me smile that particular smile.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Faith said...

I'll take lists over nothing any day, darlin'. :)

Hope you're feeling alright...

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Marcheline said...

NEIL GAIMAN ROCKS!!!!

You've gotta check out his graphic novel, "Sandman". You won't be able to put it down. The female goth character "Death" completely rules the universe. But seriously. What a cool chick.

He also wrote the story "Stardust", which is out in movie form in theaters now. Go see it! Great flick!! One for the whole family.

I'm just now reading his collection of short stories, called "Fragile Things". So far, so great!

- M

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger amusing said...

[Pssst...c'mon over for the finale of "The Pickup Artist" -- I'll make popcorn....]

 
At 2:22 AM, Blogger beemama said...

Mmmm . . . Neil Gaiman and Mike Doughty. You have excellent taste.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home