Thursday, September 13, 2007

Poetry Friday Word…er, I mean, “Thing”…for tomorrow

I’ve been trying to let go. To cut the strings and sit back and grip the chair arm and smile, all the while holding the panic at bay with a pitchfork and good juju.

Boy-child is 10, soon to be 11. He’s now entering the stepped up world of 5th grade, which comes with multiple teachers, more homework, musical instruments, and daily planners. We moms, we women who have known each other since our kids were wide-eyed kindergarteners, have been chatting recently about the changes happening with our ‘babies’, the adjustments to be made, and the sweet-and-sour sadness that has kicked us a few inches above our belly buttons.

Our kids are growing up.

Slowly, and with much trepidation, I have been trying to let the boy fly. Last weekend he wanted to go down to the park around our block with his buddy and try out his new rubber band rocket launcher. With no parents tagging along. Sergei said it was alright. I had a brief moment of panic. But what if…but what if…ran through my head. And then…I punched at it. Forced it down. Went through the myriad of ways he’s a responsible, smart kid. And I said nothing. And I let it go. And he was okay. Great, in fact.

The Poetry Friday Word for tomorrow is, well, more a phrase, or an idea. "Letting go". Feel free to use this in your blog post tomorrow, in whatever form tickles your chin...story, poem, photo, audio post, diary entry from second grade, recipe for appletinis....

Hasta manana!

3 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Sounds like you will have no problem ahead, letting go of many other things that are sure to come up with your kids. That must mean you are growing up too!!

Reminds me of Phoebe Snow's "Never Letting Go" album...I'm dating myself here, I know!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Charmed said...

It's hard, isn't it? I'm finding it easier this time around than when my daughter was at that stage.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ooo. Good challenge.

And good for you, trusting Boy-child. I'm afraid of that day. And I'm glad I've got two so that one will never have to go into a new situation alone. (But that's probably wishful thinking, huh?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home