Monday, February 04, 2008

Git me ma day-um bagul

1) Damn you Patriots. Damn you.

2) I needs me a t-shirt that says, “I Survived the Hannah Montana 3-D Movie”. For Girl-child’s birthday party this year, Sergei got tickets for her and 3 friends (and me, as chaperone) to see said movie in all its glory. Hundreds of screaming girls (and their frantic mothers) lined up in velvet ropes, throwing popcorn at each other, running back and forth to the bathroom and chanting overandover again, “Do we get free refills on frozen coke?” (The answer: No.) We stood in line 2 hours. The movie lasted 1.25 hours. The girls had a blast, but I needed a drink. (Sergei had one waiting for me when we got back to the house…and THAT’S why I married me a prince.) We predicted that the initial “one week only” run would be extended, owing to demand and Disney’s unending and bloody-fanged greed. And that’s exactly what happened…”keep it in theatres until it runs its course”. Yeah, or until you suck every tween girl’s piggy bank dry. I loath you, Disney Corporation. Pucker up and kiss my dimpled heiney.

3) I bought myself “Writers Market 2008” from Amazon. I’m not sure exactly what I’m going to do with it, other than leaf through it and dream. So far I am not inspired. The only idea that comes to mind for an article to write and sell involves bodily functions and the words “poopy poopy pants”. Nope, still not inspired.

4) Saturday night I dreamt I was sitting outside with the kids, when we saw two finned rockets drop from the sky. They descended closer and closer, and I pulled the kids close while deciding (panicking, actually) which way to run and hide, when the rockets lifted up and burst confetti out their nosecones. Then a parade came from the sky, parachutes carrying stunt people on snowmobiles, elephants and tigers and lions being dropped in my helicopter, Anthony Edwards coming toward us with a parachute in his hand, jumping up 4 inches, and try to dive off the curb…he landed with a gentle thud on the top of a truck coming up from the subway in front of us, smiled, and went on down the line to jump and land in front of another crowd. Penelope Ann Miller came by wearing a red dress, and she tried to scramble down a ladder into the sewers, but we yelled for her to Stop!, and she did, smiling, and moved on. Airplanes buzzed the crowd. Satellites left their orbits and swooped above us. Jets so silver against the sky they were almost invisible caught our eyes, then disappeared. I didn’t trust it. Since I was little I’ve had dreams that satellites and spaceships landed in my neighborhood, and there was always something ominous about it. Scary and foreboding. This parade of space junk meant something bad was happening, something veiled under the banner of “parade!”, and I kept my arms around the kids, looking for a place for us to hide.

5) Poopy Poopy Pants.

7 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Blogger Orange said...

Wait, so no Mick Jagger in drag in your dream? Huh.

The insane commercial mania that blankets tween and younger girls? Makes me glad I don't have a daughter. High School Musical, Hannah Montana, Disney princesses, all that? A pox on all of it!

 
At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it, dear? Dimpled, that is? And is there ambrosia upon it? *grin* Me, I'm glad with Orange but for a different reason--mine went the tomboy route and is all about manga comix and Naruto and dragons. *WHEW*

Now as long as Will Eisner doesn't start doing anime...

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Lynnea said...

Wow, I wanna know how Irrelephant managed that!

You have wild and wonderful dreams sister. And you said you have no inspiration.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Clowncar said...

I am already battling the dark forces of Ms. Montana and her ilk and their desire to poke their relentless commercial fingers deep into my daughters' brains. Hannah is actually not a big deal in our house, but those Disney princesses are insidious.

Great dream. I've had a similar recurring dream with a sky ablaze with comets and falling stars and giant gas planets. Always filled me with a mix of wonder and fear. Sorta like religion, but without all the smiting and rules.

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy paczki day!

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Orange: Fo Shizz! Disney is naught but a soul-sucking, money-grubbing egotistical corporate wet dream. Bah.

Irrelephant: Ambrosia and honey and free beer perched on my heiney, m'dear! Boy-child is into manga, maybe he should meet your daughter...when they're older, of course!

Maggie: Unfortunately, inspiration is a slippery lil' devil, and never comes when I call!

Clowncar: ARGH! Disney Princesses are my bete noir. Girl-child used to LOVE them, and I'm so glad she's moving away from them, even if it is straight into girl-crush mode with Hannah Montana.

Laurie: Oh gurlfren, I ate so many paczkis in the last two days, it's criminal. There's no physical way you could cram more sugar or lard into those things, but day-um, are they tasty!

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, man, I get that dream too! There are fighter jets and rockets and one always crashes just out of sight. *shiver*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home