Friday, January 25, 2008

Poetry Friday: The Word is NO

It's Poetry Friday, folks! Time to flex and fawn, time to recall and relate.

The Word for Today is NO, a word I use several hundred times a day, in various incantations. Some with the kids, yes, but more often at work, where NO is my shield from stupid people doing stupid things.

Feel free to use this word in your blog post today, in whatever form flickers your pilot light...story, poem, photo, video, recipe, scan of your favourite body part....

If you participate in Poetry Friday today, please leave a comment so we can all go see what you've done with the Word!

Have a great weekend, y'all!


Sleeps on Her Left Side, Snoring Softly

She keeps a flashlight by her bed
And a wolf named Smokie at her side
To ward off
The boogie-man
Burglers
Captain Hook from
Peter Pan

She wears Flannel pajamas and fleece blankets,
a summer night on the sound machine
she begs her mother
to stay
for one more minute
starting
now

She didn’t like math today
No, it was too hard, no,
She likes science mostly
Yawn
Science and art
Recess
Lunchtime

She breathes like she’s already asleep
Then she slides there,
Fluttering eyelids
Cocooned
Her mother’s kiss
I love you
Snow starting to fall


No, No, No, No, No, NO, NO!




Led Zeppelin, "No Quarter"

5 Comments:

At 8:11 AM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Good ones, Mona! I actually love free flow stream-of-consciousness poems....I can picture your little one all cuddled up!

I did a poem today but it was a struggle for some weird reason....you're featured in one of my verses! Thanks!

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Lynnea said...

Its funny I think as mothers the word No conjures a lot in the parental realm. It made me think of a child too. I really enjoyed the poem though because when I first started reading it I was imagining a grown woman with agoraphobia.

I have a post up for today's word too.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Sergei C. said...

Ah'm in ur comments, pluggin my meme.

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Clowncar said...

Nice poem. Conjures lots of bedtime sensory images - the pj's, the sound machine, the "one more minute." I like the contrast between the summer night on the sound machine and the snow starting to fall.

I agree with Maggie, that "no" instantly brings children to mind. I tried my hand with the Friday poetry word, inspired by conversations overhead on the baby monitor between sisters.

Thanks for the Wayne's world clip. We're not worthy!

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger jaded said...

Wayne's world should be mandatory for poetry friday.

Just one more minute! I remember placing that request, long before the passage of time meant anything.

I posted too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home