Thursday, July 24, 2008

Poetry Friday WORD for Tomorrow...plus food

The Poetry Friday Word for Tomorrow is less a word and more of an idea. What is it that is quintessentially summer for you? Is it a song on the radio that reminds you of the summers of no-school-no-job? Is it your favourite ice cream shack opening its sticky white window, ready to hand you a parfait in a plastic cup? Is it pulling out your sandles...you know the ones...broken in and slighty broken, but the most comfortable shoes you own? Tell us what makes Summer...SUMMER. Express yourself in a story, poem, song, photo, recitation of your favourite summer vacation as a kid, slip us a video of you in that bikini....

Last night I made paella. First time. Always wanted to make it but, boy, the ingredient list is just Vast! Chicken, sausage, shrimp, fish, saffron rice, veggies (you can also add mussels, clams, or lobster). I started prepping and cooking at 4:15, and didn't finish until 6:30. I used nearly every pot, pan, and plate in the kitchen. The end result? Good. But not fantastic. Not oh-my-god-this-is-heaven. Not what I expected. I was a bit disappointed. Still in all, a good effort, but really? I could have made 4 dinners with the meat in that thing. It took too long, and by the time the night was over, I'd washed dishes FOUR TIMES. Gar. That in itself is enough for me NEVER to make the dish again. Next time? Next time I'll just throw leftovers together and call it "paella puta".

I did, however, make Gary's Blueberry Cake last night for the Boss's birthday celebration today. It looks and smells lovely. The Guys will fall all over themselves to bow and scrape at my feet, making themselves worthy of a slice. At least, that's my evil plan.

4 Comments:

At 10:19 AM, Blogger jaded said...

Was there a flavor lacking in the paella? Or was too labor intensive for the product?

We ate it a lot growing up. The first preparation was much like you described here...After that my mother treated it like depositor for leftovers, simplifying the ingredients and left overs. For example, she would use leftover chicken, and use smoked sausage and frozen shrimp.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Lynnea said...

I've never made it myself. Might have to think twice about ever doing so. Hadn't realized it was so labor intensive.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger gary rith said...

Sergei will be putty in your hands when he tastes the blueberry cake.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Never tasted that but Gary's cake looks worth trying...even though it looks a little fattening!!

Hope you're having a good summer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home