Friday, January 19, 2007

Poetry Friday: The Word is COFFEE

Unending thanks to the wonderful and talented Mother of Invention for the word this week. It’s warm, and wonderful, and stimulating. It’s COFFEE. I’m sipping my second cup right now, it’s 6:40 a.m., and I’m hearing my co-workers bang sleepy doors and shuffle through white noise to their cubes, to the coffee machine, to a Friday morning.

Please feel free to stir this word into your blog post today, however it opens your teeny-tiny container of half-and-half…poem, story, photo, musical interlude, bare-assed dance in the snow….

Coffee to me conjures up songs. And movies. And remembering.

Have a Good Weekend, y’all!


Mona Ponders Coffee

1) When I was a child, I loved coffee candy…those hard tan disks that melt slowly in your mouth. My parents hoped I’d hate them. They were sure I would. But the milky smooth bite of them was sinful and delicious, and who was I to say no?

2) Growing up, we had a percolator, which was only used for post-funeral suppers. My folks, my aunts and uncles, my grandparents, always used instant coffee. Aunt D and Uncle T always drank their instant coffee with glops of sweetened condensed milk, and three spoonsful of sugar. Even though I’ve grown a bit coffee-snobbish over the years, I find a certain charm in a cup of instant coffee. My childhood sitting there in inky swirls, sweetened with Splenda, and half-and-half.

3) Nothing goes better with coffee than dessert. Especially pie. If I could eat pie and drink coffee at every meal, and not have it expand my backside to enormous proportions, I’d do it. Every. Day.

4) Back in the early 80s, I discovered the band Squeeze. I fell for them hard. Lead singer Glenn Tilbrook was and always will be a Secret Fantasy Boyfriend. I saw them in concert five, or six, or seven times. I’ve lost track. When Mother of Invention offered up the word coffee, I immediately heard Glenn’s voice calling out to me. Oh, to be making coffee stains in his notebook….

5) Jim Jarmusch has always been a favourite filmmaker of mine. A few years ago he came out with “Coffee and Cigarettes”. Loved it. This is one of my favorite scenes…Iggy Pop and Tom Waits meet for coffee.

6) I love Otis Redding. The first album of his I got was one of those ‘Best Of’ compilations, and I remember sitting in my living room, stunned, at his voice and his passion. Whenever I’m up really late, like REEEEALLY late, his song “Cigarettes and Coffee” immediately comes to mind.

7) Target sells little jars of chocolate-covered espresso beans. I. Am. Addicted.

9 Comments:

At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing goes better with coffee than dessert. Especially pie.

I LOVE coffee. I ADORE coffee. I would bathe in coffee if I wasn't in my right mind.

And I agree, dessert goes very well with coffee. But since I drink coffee 2 or 3 times per day, I'd probably weigh 400 pounds now if imbibed so.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Lynnea said...

Man, I have to go brew a pot. And pie. You got me thinking about Tarte au Sucre - mmmm, sugar pie and coffee, nothing could be better. Ok, it could be better if the calories melted in the coffee and never made it to my body.

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So...I'm a big girl now and have been for a while, and still, still I don't drink coffee. Never have. Oh, 'cept that time in Ethiopia, cuz it seemed rude not to drink coffee in a country that actually has a coffee ceremony to serve the stuff.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

My parents made coffee every morning in the percuator...Choc Full of Nuts brand..."That Heavenly Coffee"! We have to make it that way when we're on summer vacation at the log cabins since there is only propane lights and stoves....but man, does it taste wonderful up there in the wilderness with bacon, eggs and toast!

I love coffee crisp, coffee yoghurt and ice cream! Coffee is a little like chocolate...its smell is ALMOST better than the taste.

Thanks for letting me "Say the Word", and for the plug!

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Motor City Monk wrote about coffee today too ... and I just came from there. I'm in the Twilight Zone.

Love the chocolate-covered espresso beans. We get a little bag that has different kinds of chocolate -- white, milk, dark, extra-dark, etc...

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger meno said...

I don't drink coffee, love the smell, hate the taste.

But those coffee candies, yum. My grandmother alway kept a bowl of them around. I would try and figure out how many i could eat without her noticing that the bowl was considerably emptier.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

The best coffee, I think, is the kind made over a campfire... but a nice quad-shot latte comes in a close second. I missed poetry friday (again! dammit!) courtesy of an ugly schedule and a husband who picked up a computer virus that needed to be cleaned up...

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh ya coffee and dessert and "Coffee And Cigarettes"!

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Orange said...

Coffee = bitter and burnt. (You say roasted, I say burnt.)

However! Mona, have you watched the Old Spice commercial with Bruce Campbell? He seems to have bulked up of late, but it's not like his funnyness got scrawny. I like the "If you have more of it, you don't need less of it." bit the best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home