Wednesday, January 17, 2007

You Made Me Love You

Sometimes in our stack of mail we find a small box with a Free Sample inside.

The kids are old enough now that we don’t get boxes of Huggies.
Sometimes we get a mini-package of laundry soap. Which I keep but never use.
A sample of Feminine Hygiene Products came in quite handy at work, thankyouverymuch.

Generally, though, I detest such blatant consumerism, and the wasteful spending habits of WhateverCompany’s advertising department, who thought it was a good idea to buy a mailing list and blindly send stuff out.

Last fall, my husband got a Free Sample box from Gillette. It turned out to be one of their new Fusion razors.

Now let me tell you, when I originally saw the teevee commercial for this product, I thought they were kidding.

I thought it was an SNL skit run amok.

Five blades.

FIVE frickin’ blades.

Who needs that? Okay, yeah, if you’re a Yetti, or maybe our night operator guy, yes, sure, the thatchwork covering your facial area might warrant such a sharp-edged tool. But come on…what’s next? A gross of blades? A googol? Too much.

Hubby scoffed at the razor, as did I.

I pulled it out of the box and turned it around, thinking how overkill it was, and how heavy and bulky it would be to use. I turned to throw it away…but something stopped me.

My hairy legs.

I was still wearing shorts, and, well, ladies…y’know when you have that Stubble, and you walk across the floor or try to curl up on the couch and the porcupine quills on your legs startle you into realizing it’s been a while since you hacked those puppies off, and the next time your youngest child sits on your lap they’ll scream, “Ooh! Your legs are all pickery!”

So I took the bleedin’ razor in the shower with me.
As an experiment.

I’m sure you can see where this is going.

I loved it.

I bloody frickin’ loved the thing.

It didn’t pull my skin.
It shaved really close.
It cleaned out easily.

I’ve been using it for months now, and I’m sure I need a new pack of razors for it (which are no doubt HELLA expensive…THAT’S how they gitcha).

But I’m torn.

‘Cause I don’t really WANT to like it.
Because it’s a stupid idea.
Some Marketing Guru’s idea of a catchy improvement.
But.
Dammit.
It makes my legs feel GOOOOOOD.

Stupid free samples….


(FYI, this is NOT one of those paid blog advertisements. Do people really make money offa those things, anyway?)

7 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger Lynnea said...

I have a solution for ya. You can continue to use and even buy more blades, because you are a rebel. These were made for a man's face, not your legs. You're really stickin' it to 'em using it for non-authorized, non-commercialized purposes! So there. Go rebel, go.

(I get those samples all the time thinking I will use them - laundry detergent, cleaning product, but I never do. What a dumb waste and they take up space in my house. Dummy me.)

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33930

That article predicted the five blader. ;)

 
At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The free razor blades are the best. They're rediculously expensive, and rediculously easy to cop...

As a child I always loved the free sample stuff, but it is a big waste now that I think about it. God damn consumerism.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger meno said...

I remember the SNL skit, so the hubby and i howled when the quad and then the pent razor came out.
Now i may have to try it, damn you!

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Mr. Don said...

No, this is not blatent advertising, and yes, new razors are always better because teh tooling that made the blades are probably brand new. Many older razor styles are not as sharp, and competitionhas drivien the marketshare down, so the companies no longer maintain the equipment. That makes the 'newer', better razor seem like more that it really is.

Personally, I still by the disposables (twin blade) and toss them after a week. The cost of a three-pack of the newest razors is as much as a pack of 20 of the disposables, and lasts just as long.

 
At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack! Cuz of your blog, this Marketing Guru is getting even more mileage. No pulling? Close shave? Easy cleaning? Girl, get them to pay you (or at least give you some free razors for the plug)!

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to get paid for this as Lucia says.And I have to use the free sample sitting in the bathroom drawer just to experience this (not on my legs of course)!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home