Thursday, December 21, 2006

Poetry Friday WORD for tomorrow, plus the Feverish Dream

The lovely and talented Maggie will offer up the Poetry Friday Word for this week...go see her! Maggie is a wonderful wordsmith and dreamer...my favorite combo! Plus she's cooking some stuff that's making me drool....

I'm a busy bee/beaver this week, spending time at the kids' school and trying to get my work projects done as I'm ON VACATION starting tomorrow and going through the New Year. How dare I? The guys are all a bit jealous and startled, like, Ooh, what will we DO without Mona? Well y'know what you'll DO? You'll muddle through, so don't go guilting me about taking a vacation, alright pal? Pffft.

Which reminds me...my posting for the next few weeks will be spotty, as I plan to collapse under the weight of Holiday Bliss and it'll take me a while to de-coma-tize. You may find me lurking on your posts. Because I like to watch.

I had a terrifying dream last night. I can only tell it in a jumble. A co-worker had to go to some Central American country for a baseball game...one he was watching, not playing...some Central American country with a coup, and civil war. Co-worker asked me to go along. I expressed my doubts but he said, No, they're NICE to tourists. So we went...Co-worker, a couple we knew (the wife was the host of Top Chef) and their 1-month old baby. We went to the baseball game, and the place looked very American. We went to some bars, and they were also very American. We got back to the embassy, I went outside to take out the trash (apparently I'm tidy even in my dreams), and I heard...oh...the most terrifying sound I could ever dream up. In the distance, outside the embassy, I heard torture. Screams, the sound of ripping, struggle, voices shouting and being hushed, and above it all, a woman's voice, a wail, rising and falling, in that way a woman would wail if she'd just lost the most precious things in her life. I ran inside, and my face told everyone what they needed to know. In that moment, I freaked out. All I could think about was that I'd never see my family again. I nearly threw up. For real. Then Co-worker said, it's alright, we just called for the helicopter, they'll be here in a minute to take us back to the States. Next thing I knew, we were home. At an American baseball game. At an American bar. And it felt better. But I still wasn't sure I was safe. I still felt like any minute, someone would break down the door. (I could feel my bed, I could hear my husband breathing, and my feet rubbing the cool part of the sheets.) I was freaked out, still, even though I was 'safe', and then...my alarm went off, and after I banged the top down, I sat on the edge of the bed, naked, trembling, trying to figure out if I was safe. I only just now got some sense of the dream. Then I thought about dear Lucia, and her travels, and hoped she was safe. (Are you?) I thought about checking MSNBC to see if I dreamed a real-life thing. I wanted to tell Co-worker about my dream, but knew I couldn't without holding back some kind of screaming urgent thing in my throat. So. So I'm telling you. Because, oh man, sometimes in the daylight, when I've finally got my head back, I feel so lucky.

5 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, Blogger Lynnea said...

Wow that's freaky. I have dreams like this sometimes. Don't you just hate when you wake up and feel exhausted because it just seems so real? I mean, what is the point in sleeping if you're going to work harder in your dreams than in real life? If you're going to wake up more tired? Sheesh. You'd think the brain could cooperate.

Have great holidays Mona, will be missing your posts but enjoying Holiday bliss comas myself.

 
At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy your time off. Sorry about your dream. Don't worry too much about it, esp given the way your brain is wired (esp yours ;)). Maybe it was all a mish mash of Lucia being out of the country and other events around the world?

I dream about my parents too, esp since they are in India and getting older and more fragile.

I think it weighs in some part of my mind that I can't visit them often or spend enough time with them. My sis is there but it's nto the same. All that manifests itself in the form of dreams, when the waking world does not infringe or get used as a barrier to some of my feelings.
Do I even make sense? :)

 
At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woah! That was some kind of dream. You scared the crap out of me!

But I do admire how tidy you are even during the Apocalypse. Are you available for hire? My house needs some serious vaccuuming. ;)

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

It's scary to lose your head to those kind of nightmares...glad you got it back!
Enjoy your holidays! I think everyone's blogs may be a tad spotty in the next week.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Orange said...

That dream makes me uneasy. Sorry you had to have it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home