Monday, March 19, 2007

Foreign Tongues, and the Gal Who Loves Them

I took two years of Spanish in high school. Pretty much every day now, in my grownup-oh-so-adult life, I say something in Spanish, out of habit (or OCD or some degree of being slightly loco).

Several years ago I thought I’d learn German, and asked for German language tapes for Christmas. I got several. I haven’t listened to any of them. I just forget to.

Lately, I’ve been remembering French that my second grade teacher taught us. My tongue twists the right way for French (insert reference to kissing here). No, seriously, it sounds right when I speak it. I can read it some, but cannot write it to save my life. It’s a beautiful language…manifique…I would like to learn more.

The dilemma, of course, is that I want to learn it all. Not just learn, but be fluent. But which one? And how?

Any suggestions?

Merci.

(I'm linking to the NSFW Eddie Izzard link again...because those lips speaking French turn me on.)

12 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Blogger Pomme said...

Hey, it's "magnifique" :)

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger jo(e) said...

French is such a beautiful, musical language.

Go live in Paris for a year.

Oh, you wanted a practical suggestion?

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Pomme: Thank you for the correction! (see? I really CANNOT spell French words, it's like a bad disease I'm inflicted with)

jo(e): Oui. Practical. If/when I win the lottery, we'll talk about me living there....

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger gary rith said...

my goodness I got through...

I am of course reminded of 'A fish called Wanda' and how Kevin Kline's character used Italian to turn on Jamie Lee Curtis
something like: 'parmesiano, oregano....open up the Vatican gates, the Pope wants to come in..'

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Pomme said...

I have to say it's specific to French, and I guess it may represent a difficulty when a "foreigner" learn our language. I've always been grateful not having to learn French as a second language, with all the grammar and conjugations.

(Hope my english is not too bad, as I have some problems with grammar :)

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger karmic said...

I am partial to French too, it is a lovely language.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Lynnea said...

Yes, learn french and then we can practice together. My husband says if you want to learn to spell in french you take the word and spell it how it sounds and then add as many vowels as you can squeezing them in anywhere. He cracks me up. (He's Quebecois so he can make fun all he wants).

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger meno said...

I don't know, i'm still working on English.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I would choose French! So much will come back to you. An immersion course would be great plus a few weeks in the summer somewhere, but with kids and all, that's not that practical. Do home tutoring from a local high school teacher.

 
At 4:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What does "chupe mis chi chis" mean?

I pick up languages easy enough when I traveling, but forget them easy enough when I've left the country. I need a better brain...

 
At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never used them, but from the demos the rosetta stone software looks fun. http://www.rosettastone.com/en/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home