Monday, March 12, 2007

The Gross Eyeball Post

Some of you may remember the eye surgery I had back in October, whereby My Stupid Leaky Eye was fitted with a lovely shunt. If you have the stomach for it, check out this link for the procedure…a dacryocystorhinostomy (halfway down the page, The Balloon (Non-Incisional) DCR).

Last Friday I had to break from the crazyness of work to have the tube removed.

Gah.

It was just gross.

The last time I was that nervous was when I flew for the first time after 9-11, and had to steady my nerves with a couple shots of whiskey at the airport bar. Dammit, the eye doctor has no bar.

I was telling myself, “Don’t-pass-out-don’t-pass-out” when the ophthalmologist came in. With a young student. Somehow that calmed me. Like having my kids there. I didn’t want to freak her out, so I very calmly let the doctor put drops in my eyes and do the grossgross procedure, flinching only once, at the knot, and laughing afterwards at how painless it was.

This weekend, I wore contacts for the first time in 4 ½ months.
I felt pretty again.
I felt like me again.

9 Comments:

At 7:58 AM, Blogger karmic said...

Yay Mona! You go girl!

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Lucia said...

Hoooray for feeling like yourself again!

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger meno said...

I can't look at the pictures, but i am happy for you!

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger gary rith said...

sounds gross overall, but glad you got through it.
Just sent you a reply to your question, AND this is the firsttime in 2 days I have been able to get at your comments. Mysterious.....

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Yahay! Hope your eye woes are over!

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Pisser said...

Bat them eyelashes :)

I wants me some laze-err surrgory? But I's too grossgrossgrossed out by the whole thing, thanks to a so-called friend o' mine.

She started out like this: I won't go into TOO much detail...

Yeah, right.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Lynnea said...

Congratulations on being shuntless!

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

Hooray!

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Gordo said...

So many medical "things" can be nasty. Neat procedure, though. :-)

My first position here at the University was darkroom technician for Medical Photography. Five years of that and very little grosses one out, anymore. ;-)

Enjoy life without the shunt!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home