Thursday, October 25, 2007

Let's go crazy. Let's get nuts.

I'm dealing with holidays already.

For the last week or so, every work day, I’m chained to my desk (figuratively, of course, lest y’all call the coppers on my boss), to work on websites and emails and copy and links for the effin’ holidays for my place of work. Holidays. Ack.

Now, don’t get me wrong…I LOVE the holidays. I obsess over Thanksgiving. I jump in glittery glee at the thought of Christmas, or the invitation to our friends’ Hanukkah party. I plan the menu for a small but delicious array of snackings for New Years. Boy-child’s birthday is in early December, and Girl-child’s is in January, so I go CrazyNuts buying gifts this time of year, hitting the sales, making a homemade gift or two, taking surreptitious trips out on my weekend errands to scout out That Perfect Gift. I love it. It’s hectic and stressful and cash-draining, and I love every damn minute of it.

But at work? Oh, I so don’t want to deal with it. Insomuch as ‘dealing with it’ involves spending every minute in meetings or system investigation or making sure something doesn’t blow up, leaving me little slacker time. Or personal time. I’m forgetting to pee until almost too late. I have to set my Outlook calendar to alarm me when it’s time to leave and get the kids, otherwise I’m just heads-down trying to dog paddle above the waves of Project Deadlines. There are days lately when my only forays onto Teh Internets be for work ONLY. WTF?

And now I must leave, as my boss is Hovering, and The Guys have just arrived with reams of system specs I’m supposed to look at. Hah. HAHAHA.

11 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Blogger Lynnea said...

She's losing her mind...
or her pee.

Hope things at work get straightened out soon. But you said Christmas and now my kiddie little brain can only think of la la la la, Santa Claus is coming to town.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger jaded said...

It's either feast or famine, when you work in the trenches.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger meno said...

Almost every evening, when my husband calls me after he's had a long day at work, he relaxes a little and then says "Oh my god i have to pee, i'll call you right back."

He hasn't had time to feel or think all day.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger karmic said...

Aww I hope it all evens out soon and you go to a more normal schedule. So is the Friday word gonna be "crazy"? :)

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

You shouldn't have told them you love holidays so much!

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Elliot said...

The subgeniuses say you shouldn't drown in your work, you should FLOAT on your work. It doesn't mean anything specifically, nor are there any specific steps toward that goal, but when I'm swamped, I invoke that abstraction and, somehow, it works.

...because I'm insane anyway...

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Elliot said...

Um, okay, subgenius.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Marcheline said...

Yeah, my new job is at a private investigation firm, which means ALL the computers are being watched by Big Brother, which means that I actually have to WORK the ENTIRE DAY. We even have to fill out daily log sheets showing what we were doing every minute of the day... so my only 'net time is at home.

This pretty much sucks, but for some damn reason I still like the job. I must be warped.

- M

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It certainly sounds like you need a holiday from all this holiday work.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Bah humbug.

Don't these people realize Who You Are, and that you've got more important thins to do, like issue Poetry Words every Thursday?

Oh, no I guess they don't.

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

'tis the season for crazy-ass workloads, no? Yeah. me too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home