Monday, October 08, 2007

Middle Ages

On my 16th birthday, in a quiet moment, my mom looked at me as only a mom can, smiled sort of enviously, and said, “I may be 38, but I still feel like I’m 16 years old inside.”

Of course I thought she was nuts.

Back then, I had some crazy notion about what my life would be like when I got older, the “things” I would acquire, the obvious fame and fortune I would be immersed in, the slow hardening of my physical abilities and how, by age 38, I would never, EVER, feel like I was 16 inside.

Huh.

Well, now I’ve seen 38 in my rear view, and…yep…inside I still feel like I'm 16. (Damn. Mom was right. And hells yeah! Moms are right!)

Yesterday was my Birthday of An Unmentionable And Unremarkable Age. I was treated to breakfast in bed, presents in bed, dinner out, and scores of kisses and hugs and “Happy Birthday Mom!”s It was all wonderful and sweet and memorable.

The 16-year old in me, however, still doesn’t know what she wants to be when she grows up. Is still a teeny bit scared of the dark. Still gets pimples. Is still shy about speaking to grownups. And still feels that tickly burning in her breastbone at what wonderful things might happen in her life. I hope she stays inside me for a long, long time.

12 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Blogger gary rith said...

Happy Borthday Mona, dahling, and many many happy returns!

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger karmic said...

Happy Birthday Mona!

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! Here's the key to the car. Don't stay out too late. ;-)

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger meno said...

Happy Birthday Mona.

I was having a similar conversation with my 16 year old a few days ago. I was telling her that NO ONE ever really thinks that they will get old.

She said, "Well, i can't believe you're 50."

SHE can't believe it?

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger jaded said...

Happy Birthday! Does this mean you're old enough to alcohol. I could really use a bottle of kahlua. If you buy for me, I'll through in a little extra to treat yourself. After all, Nancy is loaning you the car ;)

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Big B-day hugs, cakes and presents!
I'm glad you have the right spirit! May it stay with you until you are 90!

 
At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very many happy returns, dear! *hug* And I think if you've managed to keep your inner teen alive and nurtured this long you should have no problem keeping that fire burning nice and bright long into your autumn years.

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger your fiend, mr. jones said...

I know what you mean... especially when my voice cracks while trying to sing David Bowie's "Let's Dance".

Happy Birthday and don't forget what this day is really about...

...prezzies!

 
At 11:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They say age is just a state of mind. If that's true, they you ARE still 16. So hand over that fake ID and remember to be home by 10 -- it's a school night.

 
At 2:52 AM, Blogger egan said...

Happy birthday. I like how you tied this in to your experiences as well as what your mom had to say. My mom turns 70 tomorrow. Crazy to think she was roughly my age when I was born.

 
At 2:55 AM, Blogger Elliot said...

Happy Birthday, Mona. I stopped aging, mentally, at 30. And then, I started going backwards. I'm currently mentally 18 years old. Dude!

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Marcheline said...

Happy Birthday, Mona. You give the gift of happiness to all who read your blog, so I hope you got all that and more on your special day!

WOOT!

How old ARE you, anyhoo?

- M

 

Post a Comment

<< Home