Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Uno!

Best in Show, baby!

I love these dogs. We had a beagle a few years ago, but had to give him to a nice German woman when we were never home to care for him. My first ever dog was mostly beagle. Snoopy is a beagle.

What's not to love?

This video made me all ferklempt, I started watching it (at work, with headphones on), and when they announced 'The Beagle' won, I choked up, and a sob escaped my throat, and my eyes welled up. After I watched the thing three times, with similar happy tears, I took off the headphones and realized that it was veeeeery quiet at work, except for me, gasping for joyful air over some dog. Maybe the guys will just think I was eating a really good lunch.

(This isn't the exact video I was watching...the good one is here, go down and launch the video...they won't let me embed it in my html, the buzz-killers....)

6 Comments:

At 3:27 PM, Blogger gary rith said...

me and my 13 inch beagle Penny just watched this and she..I am not kidding..had to bay along with Uno
my dog is of course prettier and cuter and sweeter, but Uno is fabulous too

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger meno said...

I grew up with beagles. there is nothing like that baying sound.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Pisser said...

Breeders are gross. How they can continue to perpetuate the problem while perfectly good shelter dogs are put to death is beyond comprehension to me. Also I suspect many a beagle has wound up in the pound due to "that baying sound," so the beagle needs all the help he can get...

 
At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mona, it wasn't the Borzoi who took the win but it WAS a hound, so I was thrilled as all get-out. *G* And the first Beagle to EVER win, wasn't she? Nice!

And forgive my soapboxing in your comments, but Pisser? Not _all_ breeders are gross. Breeders running puppy mills are gross. Breeders who breed solely to make bags of money are gross. Breeders who are trying to carefully and thoughtfully perpetuate and perfect a breed are to be respected and supported. Breeders who teach and inform people about their breed of choice are not gross. These are the people who have protected breeds from extinction, and who tell potential buyers that a beagle will bay, a Doberman will need near-constant loving attention and that an Irish Wolfhound does not belong in a fifth-floor apartment and will refuse to sell when the buyer is not right.

As for the pound? If people used their brains as much as their hearts when choosing a pet then the problem wouldn't be nearly as grotesque as it is. If people were as responsible and careful as some breeders then we'd all be better off.

Happy Valentine's Day, Mona!

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Pisser said...

"Breeders who breed solely to make bags of money are gross. Breeders who are trying to carefully and thoughtfully perpetuate and perfect a breed are to be respected and supported."

Sounds like Nazi eugenics to me, and they are still compounding the problem. People who buy why shelter dogs die are morally reprehensible. Not to mention that the shelters are FULL of purebreds, which explains just how much these breeders care about the placement of their animals.

 
At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pisser, I'll bow to your superior wisdom then, and slap on my swastika armband. I've rescued fifteen animals to every one I've bought from a breeder but I know better than to argue with someone who is as bloodyminded set as you seem to be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home