Monday, April 07, 2008

Me-3D

Years ago, many and what seems like many more years ago, I created a pop-up resume.

Don't laugh. Okay, laugh. It's seriously funny now.

At the time, I was feeling creative and unappreciated for it, and thought, hey, what would catch someone's attention more than putting myself in 3-D resume form, instead of the same ol' boring CV that everyone uses?

So I took my work experience, my theatre experience, my education, and a few lessons from a pop-up instruction book, and set to work.

My education was printed on a white paper mini "diploma", rolled up and glued to the Education page, threaded with red ribbon.

My writing experience was listed in a mini book pop-up, a separate page for each item of interest, a quick flip of the pages told the story.

My computer skills were written on small cardboard floppy disks and on a green bar paper printout scrawling from a cartoon computer, opening the page flipped up the floppies and spread out the paper.

Theatre experience? Behind the curtains of a small pop-up stage, the tiebacks of which were directional arrows.

There were 8 pages or so, the others forgotten to the dark cobwebby recesses of my brain.

I made out 4 copies, and sent them out to The Head of a Major Sketch Comedy Show, The Editor of a Mid-Sized Publishing House, The Head of Spy Magazine, and someone I now forget.

I only ever heard back from the Spy Magazine guy.

His letter was short, sweet and sour.

It said, "Love the resume. Have no idea how to use you."

Bah.

I stopped making pop-up books after that. But I still have a soft spot for them.

So it struck me as funny, odd and tart like sour grapefruit, when I saw this video today. I could have done this. And so much more. Someone kick me for having missed this opportunity.


7 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Blogger Bob said...

I love the idea of a pop-up resume.

clever!

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Clowncar said...

That's a cool little book. My only experience with pop-up books is that they get ripped apart within 3 reads by my extremely curious little ones, who want to figure out "how it works."

A pop-up resume is an amazing idea. surprised no one snapped you up. You should try a pop-up blog post.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Lynnea said...

yeah i can't believe noone wanted to even try to use you. if i owned a company, i'd hire you right now. and figure out what you'd be doing later.

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kiddo, I did the 'standard' resume, then put at the very end two paragraphs of pure Irrelephant comedy to describe myself. Figured it'd make me stand out.

In the past three months I've sent out (having just counted) over FORTY of those original resumes. I've heard back from Kansas City Southern twice now, an automated reply telling me I'm not qualified to play with their choo-choos and by the local energy conglomerate who sends a form letter saying I'm not allowed to climb their electrical poles.

Original doesn't cut it in the Bible Belt, apparently. I guess I need a duck's butt hairdo and a seersucker suit.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger gary rith said...

those imbeciles should have hired you right away, and thanks to you and Sergei for the CAKE! (wink wink)

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Stucco said...

The "U" was unnecessarily complicated. I had ben thinking "I could do that" until the "U". Show offs.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Héctor Ugalde said...

They didn't deserve you.

Maybe if you had reached the right people on the right company...

4 cases weren't enough.

I'm in love with the pop-up books and I created a Blog about them.

http://librospopup.blogspot.com/
(in spanish, but I'm sure the images will be fine for most people)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home