Wednesday, March 22, 2006

My Brush With Greatness

My mother-in-law, Sergei’s stepmom, the children’s author, is coming into town today for storytime at Boychild and Girlchild's classrooms. I’m taking this afternoon off to be her roadie, her groupie, her entourage.

Yesh, it makes me feel like a rock star.

She’s done this for several years now, and it’s funny to see all these staid, polite, well-mannered teachers get all gooshy and starry-eyed when they see her.

To me, tho, she’s my cool mom-in-law, the one who wears funky jewelry and makes wonderful soufflés and bakes garlic to spread on crackers with goat cheese.

Mmmm, goat cheese.

My ‘Brush With Greatness’ list is surprisingly short, given my career as sex goddess and girl-about-town. (Okay, nowadays more like stressed-out-mom and dirty-minded blogger.)

1) My mother-in-law
2) Met James Earl Jones once and he checked out my ass (so says Sergei), got his autograph
3) Shook hands with Henry Rollins and asked if he would sing at my wedding (he politely declined), got his autograph on ‘Get in the Van’
4) Slept with a member of a rock band from New Jersey in the early 90s (no, not THAT band), got one of his guitar picks as a souvenir
5) Met and got the autograph of Kevin McDonald, one of the guys from Kids in the Hall, who now does cartoon voiceovers (the alien on “Lilo and Stitch” tv show, Waffle on “Catscratch”).
6) Stood *this close* to Bill Clinton several years ago when he spoke at a fundraiser. Damn he is a handsome man!
7) I have a lock of hair from a convicted murderer (law-enforcement uncle scored it for me, big murder case in Michigan…oh, don’t be grossed out!)

That’s all I can think of. Surely you must have better ‘brushes’ than me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home