Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Blog Against Sexism Day

This is the best and only way I can say what I feel about the subject, thanks to the lovely and talented Dar Williams:

When I Was A Boy
Dar Williams

I won't forget when Peter Pan came to my house, took my hand
I said I was a boy, I'm glad he didn't check
I learned to fly, I learned to fight, I lived a whole life in one night
We saved each other's lives out on the pirate's deck
And I remember that night when I'm leaving a late night with some friends
And I hear somebody tell me it's not safe, someone should help me
I need to find a nice man to walk me home
When I was a boy, I scared the pants off of my mom
Climbed what I could climb upon
And I don't know how I survived, I guess I knew the tricks that all boys knew
And you can walk me home, but I was a boy too

I was a kid that you would like, just a small boy on her bike
Riding topless, yeah, I never cared who saw
My neighbor came outside to say, "Get your shirt," I said, "No Way
It's the last time I'm not breaking any law"
And now I'm in this clothing store, and the signs say Less is More
More that's tight means more to see, more for them, not more for me
That can't help me climb a tree in ten seconds flat
And I know things have gotta change, they got pills to sell, they've got implants to put in, they've got implants to remove
But I am not forgetting
That I was a boy too

And like the woods where I would creep, it's a secret I can keep
Except when I tired, except when I'm being caught off guard
I've had a lonesome awful day, the conversation finds its way
To catching fireflies out in the backyard
And I tell the man I'm with about the other life I lived
And I say now your top gun, I have lost and you have won
And he says, "Oh no, oh no, can't you see
When I was a girl, my mom and I, we always talked
And I picked flowers everywhere that I walked
And I could cry all the time, now even when I'm alone I seldom do
And I have lost some kindness
But I was a girl too
And you were just like me, and I was just like you

Blog Against Sexism Day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home