Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I Drink Your Milkshake

For the last week or two
Or maybe longer,
Yes, longer,
I’ve had these Epic Dreams
That last Too Long.
When I wake up I’m still dreaming
And I have to shake the images off like a wool coat
Next to my bare skin
All prickly
Hot
My mouth dry like
Newspapers.

Two nights ago I dreamt that the kids and Sergei and I
Were at a diner
And Boy-child was at the counter
With me
Asking for sausage
When I asked him if he also wanted toast
He didn’t answer
Didn’t look at me
I asked him again, “Do you want toast with that?”
Nothing
A million miles away
I sighed, “okay
No toast then”
Boy-child then became Daniel Day Lewis
Complete with moustache,
And stabbed my hand repeatedly with a fork
Chanting
“I drink your milkshake.
I drink it up.”

He left to sit
And he was Boy-child again,
Sweet smiling cherub
The dream went on, full of
Mixed up housing
Cars that turned into tree limbs
Hills where I could run or fall.

And I woke up breathing like underwater,
Angry and confused


This morning I woke up
Breathless and hurt
Because Girl-child had not thanked the dream’s party host
And I tried to make up for her lack of enthusiasm
And the host was pissed
And Boy-child threw a wad of paper at a
Stranger
Passing by
And I was at the Country Music Awards
On roller-skates
With kids in tow
Not caring who Trace Adkins had
Slept with
Just wondering
How the hell
I could get home.

Maybe I need to drink some warm milk
before bed.
Maybe that would chase away these dreams
Where I’m mad
At my kids
Which makes me mad
At myself
In real life.





7 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Blogger Lynnea said...

Mmhmm. Sounds to me like Mona needs a mommy break. Just a little one.

 
At 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"And I woke up breathing like underwater..." What a succulent, full image of suffering. Whew. Mona, when you get to dreaming you don't play around, do you? I've always hated those sorts of dreams, the ones that spill their effects over into the waking hours. The joy of it is that it'll pass, eventually.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Tink said...

>>“I drink your milkshake. I drink it up.”<< Bwahahaha! Omg, that made me choke on my own spit.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger egan said...

Me thinks Maggie is right in her analysis.

I wanted to see There Will be Blood, but now I'm not so sure. I do love me Mr. Daniel Day Lewis.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger minijonb said...

i need to see that movie this weekend before the Oscars. it's the only one of the 5 best pix nominated films i haven't seen yet.

...i'd try help analyse your dreams, but i can't understand mine... sorry. =:-)

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Clowncar said...

It is disorienting to have sad and angry dreams follow you into waking life. Like you have two lives running on parallel tracks.

Love "My mouth dry like / Newspapers."

A great movie. DDL is a force of nature. Even when he isn't stabbing you in the hand with a fork.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Stop eating peanut butter at night! Those wacky pb dreams are notorious!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home