Friday, February 22, 2008

Poetry Friday: Tattoo...Part 2...the drumbeat

The tables were still sticky from
root beer and
onion ring grease,
the customers mostly gone
mostly home
She came by
with a wet towel
as
He drove up
whistled at her curvy hips
in brown polyester
Sat down on the stool
at the carhop window
pattering out a tune
waiting for her to finish

Come with me
comewithme
ComeWithMe

She scurried to rinse to
sanitize the glasses
the ice cream machine
the hot dog kettle
clean the soda lines
He beat his tattoo
class ring thumping on the
nailed leather
of the stool only his legs fit

Come with me
comewithme
ComeWithMe

She snapped shut
the windows over screens locked
against burglers and vermin and time
washed her hands
grabbed the bag of burgers
her purse and lip gloss
paycheck and bank deposit
turned out the lights
He strummed harder,
matching the tempo of the rhythm
below his belt
maybe tonight
maybe tonight she'll

Come with me
comewithme
ComeWithMe

9 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Oh, Mona, you are forever the libido queen! Great piece about someone drumming to get a piece! HA! Mine today so tame compared to yours and Irrelephant's and usually Maggie's too! Some day I'm going to write a sizzler! I may need to ask you guys for help!

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Clowncar said...

Nice. Root beer and onion rings. Cars and girls. Kind of a Springsteen vibe going on.

Barefoot girl sittin on the hood of a Dodge / drinkin warm beer in the soft summer rain

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Lynnea said...

I'm with clowncar - totally had me an image of springsteen sitting in the car. I love this! The yearning, the angst. Yup, you be cool.

 
At 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a Springsteen fan but I could feel the summer heat outside, and taste the dust in the air mixed with their hunger. Super nice, Queen Bee!

 
At 1:28 AM, Blogger Redhead Fae said...

oh yah, early Springsteen, I'm with the ACs

Just roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Yah, Summer Images, love the vibe you gave us on this one.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger jaded said...

I can see Springsteen, but I really see the Mary McGarry Morris's characters in the book Songs in Ordinary Time.

You are the Queen Bee for a reason.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Mona Buonanotte said...

Y'know what, y'all? Springsteen never entered my head, but now that you mention it, yeah, I can see that.

Here's the story...when I was in high school, I worked at an A&W restaurant. At that time, many years ago, you pulled up in your car, ordered through a speaker, and a young lady in brown polyester would come out with your tray of food which she would fasten over your lowered window. I was one of those girls. A carhop. My high school boyfriend would come by near closing time and wait for me to be done, drink root beer, chat with me and crank up the 8 track in his car. This piece was a big memory of that.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Redhead Fae said...

But *early* Springsteen, when he was still writing about hot summer nights, desperate desires, and hot rods.

I love it! So...didya? huh, huh?

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Love it. I could absolutely hear it set to music. And it does have that old (and brand new; have you heard the latest?) Springsteen vibe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home