Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Breakfast Club...Now 40% Off!

Sergei and I saw a commercial for JC Penney the other night that tried to be The Breakfast Club. And sell jeans at the same time. Similar high school, similar song, similar statue.

Now, I loved The Breakfast Club when it came out. I was older than a high schooler (but if memory serves, Judd Nelson was too). It was the 80s, and John Hughes ruled, and the characters were cute and rebellious and I loved Simple Minds. Shermer High School. Shermer, Illinois. 60062.

I thought it was a cute commercial, and promptly forgot about it. Until the news today made me remember it, and the comments on the story were so polarized, so passionate, I had to mention it today.

Here's the JC Penney commercial:



And here's the 1980's trailer for The Breakfast Club:




The movie? Dated. Cheesy, almost. Do I still love it? Hells yeah. Do I want it to sell jeans and babydoll blouses? Not really. But it's not my choice. John Hughes needs to pay the rent? Sure, sell the rights to the movie and keep that roof over your head. I don't care. What the commercial did do for me was make me realize how old I've become, and how the things that mattered 20 years ago seem simple and silly now. And...how much I really need to see that movie again.

Don't mess with the bull, young man, you'll get the horns.

6 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Blogger Lynnea said...

I never realized that marketers would someday appeal to my sense of nostalgia. And a lot of times it works at least on some level. So weird. But I'm ok with it.

As for the Breakfast Club, I love that movie. Now for the sentimentality of it of course. We watched Ferris Bueller the other day and were apprehensive that it would be really cheesy and stupid to us now, but we found ourselves laughing out loud in spite of the time changes. That was a satisfying feeling. Other movies have not stood the test of time for us like Short Circuit, Star Wars and some others.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger meno said...

I saw that commercial while we were on vacation, and i was all "OMG!" and my daugter was all "What?"

Old. I am old.

 
At 3:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I like the advert. (We don't have JC Penny here).
I also have a copy of the Breakfast club on DVD. If only to remind me when Molly Ringwald was cool. (Was she?)

 
At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was crushed, me. All it did is remind me that my childhood (and young adulthood) is now up for sale, parceled out to the highest bidder to sell jeans, condoms, whatever.

"So a naked girl walks into a bar with a poodle under one arm and a two-foot salami under the other..."

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw that, too, and wondered (after the OMGWTF wore off) whether they're trying to get us old folks to buy clothes for our kids at JCP or trying to appeal to the kids.

Because seriously, the kids who have to convince the parents to buy their clothes see that and think:

?

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Pandora Wilde said...

Heathers is a really good movie from around that time too. Here's hoping they don't get the bright idea to use that movie next because I'll cry and shoot the TV with my shotgun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home