Friday, October 13, 2006

Poetry Friday…Wish

Well, it’s Poetry Friday. It’s been a hellova week here…multiple doctor visits and statewide assessment tests, soccersoccertaekwondodance, field trips and luncheons, the unending slew of work projects, the itch for Thanksgiving, celebrating the Deeeetroit Tigers, and now…a sick child. (Sergei reports her temp is 101, and we’ll tag-team it today, with me working in the morning, him working in the afternoon…thank you jeebus for flexible work schedules.)

I wish I could entertain you with top hat and tap shoes, cane twirling about my sleek tuxedo-ed body, “Tea for Two” and then some jazzy and unexpected dance…Martha Graham mixed with Gene Kelly and a bit of P-Funk…but that ain’t gonna happen.

I wish I could come up with some incredible thought-provoking Poetry Friday Word, something that would hit you in the solar plexus and all the tightly-held words inside you would spill out for me to read this weekend, when I’m fighting off the inevitable cold I’ll catch from my sick child. But no Words are coming.

I wish I had more time…the time I’ve made, the time now opened up by going to work early to leave early, that time is eaten up by errands and projects, which was the point, but I wish there was time to…walk through campus with the kids, picking up scarlet-and-gold autumn leaves, with v-formation geese crossing the pink sky overhead…sit for an entire afternoon on the comfy couch at the bookstore café, sipping lattes and reading banned books…bake something delicious and labor-intensive, and give it to my girlfriend who’s feeling lonely…take the kids and the husband to the movies, and spend the day bouncing from theatre to theatre, watching and eating and laughing, collapsing at the end of the night high on Diet Coke and Junior Mints.

I wish for a lot of things.

I’m happy for what I have, don’t think I take that for granted.

But as long as we’re humans, the one thing we do together, as a species, is wish. Sometimes that’s all we have.

Sounds like the Poetry Friday Word is WISH, doesn’t it?

Have a good weekend, y'all!

6 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope kiddo feels well and you have a chance to relax.
Even when you don't have time your Friday word post comes out so well. Amazing! :)
All I can say is I wish I could too. :)

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Lynnea said...

But as long as we're humans, the one thing we do together, as a species, is wish.

Isn't that the plain truth? Sometimes I think wishing is one of my favorite past times. You know, dreaming, lazy day dreaming about possible futures, outcomes of plans, ways to achieve something. I prefer to think of it as constructive day dreaming. Like setting the goal and then picturing it detail for detail till you reach the goal. Has nothing to do with taking the present for granted, its a reaching for a future.

Lovely wishes Mona.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Pisser said...

Wow, what a woman! I don't think I'll ever let someone else spit a phlegm globber into my hand, on purpose...I hereby renounce my uterus, and will turn it in along with my "FEMALE" badge...!

Hope girl-child is feeling better in time to enjoy all this autumnal bliss.

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Sorry you're sick and sorry I haven't got the words in time to come up with anything decent in time for the last several poetry Fridays. Maybe my creative juices are starting to hibernate!

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Neal said...

Thanks for the description of an autumn day, that was poetry enough!

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Lucia said...

I wish I had written something for Poetry Friday. (Does that count?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home