Thursday, August 14, 2008

Poetry Friday Word-ish for Tomorrow, question for Imelda

This week’s Poetry Friday Word is a Theme…centered around WEATHER.

No matter how smart we humans think we are, the whole of our lives are controlled by the weather. In Michigan, the world stops in its tracks when we have a blizzard in the winter. Our schedules and desires change when it reaches 72 degrees in June and the sun begins to brown our skin. Rain dampens plans, hail requires trips to the auto body shop and the insurance office, and tornados change our sleeping arrangements. We are simultaneously fascinated and pissed off with bad weather…and sometimes good weather, when it requires a job of us (like that damn lawn that needs mowing).

For Poetry Friday tomorrow, tell us about your experience with weather…good, bad, indifferent. Does it inspire you? Does it make you nostalgic? Does it send you straight for the liquor cabinet? You may expound away in story form, poetry, song stylings, Technicolor video, scratch-n-sniff (good luck with that one), photos, readings from Poor Richards Almanac….

Question: Would you wear someone else's shoes? If you were to, say, buy some used shoes in a thrift shop? Do I dare donate half a dozen slightly worn pairs of shoes, or is the thought of the general public that worn shoes are icky (like used underwear, but not THAT icky)?

8 Comments:

At 8:06 AM, Blogger gary rith said...

YES on the shoes, Mona. If they are clean, they can make somebody happy. Last summer I found a nearly new black pair of converse high tops by the side of the road, laundered them, and there we go!

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger jo(e) said...

I vote yes on donating the shoes too.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Bob said...

our little town has a store that all it does is sell used shoes. also, when guys rent tuxes for proms, weddings, shoes come with the rental.

so people do wear them, so go ahead and donate them.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger jaded said...

Definitely donate.

Many thrift stores send "worn" clothes to underdeveloped countries if they can't sell them. Donation = Win/Win.

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Lynnea said...

I am squeamish about used shoes. However, I have no qualms about donating mine because I know there are plenty of people out there not as silly as me and if they have no problems with it, I hate to think of throwing things away. Landfills are bad.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Clowncar said...

I'd wear used shoes. Then again, I'd wear used underwear too. Yes, I'm a pig.

 
At 9:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I bought used watershoes on Ebay and they saved my feet this summer. They're great.

Man, I wish I could find a pair of black hightops along the highway. Usually I just find used underwear. And then I give it to Clowncar because he's a pig. :-)

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

I donate shoes all the time, and, in the past, have happily worn most excellent shoes I've found at thrift stores or rummage sales.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home